This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FYI: DynDNS / dyn.com policy change

I received an email from dyn.com (aka dyndns.org et al); apparently they're going to free require users to manually login every month or they will expire accounts.

Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.

(emphasis mine)

Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yes, the UTM supports dyndns and a few other services... it's in webadmin.

But, according to this news, you'll still need to login to their website monthly.

Barry
  • Yes, the UTM supports dyndns and a few other services... it's in webadmin.

But, according to this news, you'll still need to login to their website monthly.

Barry
    I realize utm supports dyndns, but is there a way to get utm to update the ip address? The client is responsible to periodically do this.
  • I realize utm supports dyndns, but is there a way to get utm to update the ip address? The client is responsible to periodically do this.

Astaro/UTM has, for quite some time (at least since 8.x) had ddclient built-in; it is exposed in WebAdmin under Network Services on one of the Tabs on the right (in v9, don't click on DNS under Network Services).

There is a dropdown to choose from quite a few providers.

Barry
  • I realize utm supports dyndns, but is there a way to get utm to update the ip address? The client is responsible to periodically do this.

Astaro/UTM has, for quite some time (at least since 8.x) had ddclient built-in; it is exposed in WebAdmin under Network Services on one of the Tabs on the right (in v9, don't click on DNS under Network Services).

Barry
Children
  • seems that there are a some unhappy People...

2013:05:15-19:01:47 ***-*** httpproxy[5538]: id="0061" severity="info" sys="SecureWeb" sub="http" name="web request blocked, reputation limit" action="block" method="GET" srcip="***.***.***.***" dstip="" user="" statuscode="403" cached="0" profile="..." filteraction="..." size="3060" request="0x9952620" url="dyn.com/.../" exceptions="" error="" country="United States" reason="category" category="130" reputation="malicious" categoryname="Malicious Sites"

in very short: httpproxy ... name="web request blocked, reputation limit" ... url="dyn.com/dns/" reason="category" ... reputation="malicious" categoryname="Malicious Sites"

so either People are flagging dyndns at "TrustedSource", or someone has got even further...

...and just after i logged into dyndns to check my account status, i received the "SLA Update" Mail...

Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login. You will still continue to get email alerts every 30 days if your email address is current.

hrmpf...
  • Astaro/UTM has, for quite some time (at least since 8.x) had ddclient built-in; it is exposed in WebAdmin under Network Services on one of the Tabs on the right (in v9, don't click on DNS under Network Services).

Barry
    Let me try this again, because for some reason, the point is not getting across. I know utm supports dyndns. My utm is configured to use dyndns. The most recent update was April 27th, which I believe is the date that that I reinstalled utm from scratch after a failed update of a beta. Since then, utm has not updated dyndns. The date of the last update shown on utm is consistent with the date on dyndns. I find this strange, because the client (utm) should update dyndns periodically. For example, the other one of my PCs, which is at my parent's house, updates every time they log on, and the date of the most recent update is shown on dyndns. I see no mechanism in utm to force an update or configure the frequency of update. I am getting concerned that dyndns will drop the host if utm doesn't update it. Is this clear?
  • The most recent update was April 27th, which I believe is the date that that I reinstalled utm from scratch after a failed update of a beta. Since then, utm has not updated dyndns. 
    From the ddclient (dyndns client) configuration file, it checks for the change of IP every 5 minutes (notice the daemon=300) and then stores that IP in its cache

gatekeeper:/ # cat /etc/ddclient/global.conf-default
    daemon=300
    ssl=yes
    timeout=120
    cache=/var/cache/ddclient/ddclient.cache
    pid=/opt/tmpfs/ddclient.pid
    syslog=yes
    If your IP has changed in the last 5 minutes, it will update the new IP, however if the IP hasn't changed, it will wait 25 days before updating. 

The old TOS of dyndns. org used to specify NOT to update the IP unless needed and could get your account banned for forcing updates when not needed.

Your parent's modem might be re-sycncing every time they logon which would give them a new IP every time or the client may not be working correctly.