This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FYI: DynDNS / dyn.com policy change

I received an email from dyn.com (aka dyndns.org et al); apparently they're going to free require users to manually login every month or they will expire accounts.

Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.

(emphasis mine)

Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Bill, I wonder if that isn't for new customers.  I started free DynDNS service for three MediaSoft dynamic IPs several years ago.  At some point, they changed to just offer two for free, but they didn't reduce the MediaSoft account to two.  I haven't logged in to DynDNS recently, but all three hosts are still active there, so I don't think the change applies to our use - they play by the "a deal is a deal" rule.

Cheers - Bob
    PS I just confirmed that my account shows: "You are using 3 of the 2 hosts currently available in your account."  All three are still active, so I have confirmed my observations.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bill, I wonder if that isn't for new customers.  I started free DynDNS service for three MediaSoft dynamic IPs several years ago.  At some point, they changed to just offer two for free, but they didn't reduce the MediaSoft account to two.  I haven't logged in to DynDNS recently, but all three hosts are still active there, so I don't think the change applies to our use - they play by the "a deal is a deal" rule.

I hope you are correct but my limited research shows otherwise. There are no more free hostnames period. If you are grandfathered in then you have to login once a month. Previously, you had to update the hostname atleast once a month for it to stay active with a dyndns client (which was understandable). I also liked TZO for free dns but seems dyn.com already assimilated that company[:@] 

I have never used dyndns in business settings so I am not concerned about that aspect.  I have 5 hostnames and a couple of static IPs [:$] Back in the heyday of dotcom, it was much easier to assign an IP to a hostname instead of remembering each IP. But I can foresee problems for many users who use netgear and other routers (astaro) that have dyndns client built in and finding themselves without service since dyn.com is under no obligation to deliver their change of policy email to anyone.

I have not received this email personally but logged in just to make sure and everything works. I did find a copy posted on yahoo groups if anyone is interested.  Yahoo! Groups

Regards
    Bill
  • I hope you are correct but my limited research shows otherwise. There are no more free hostnames period. If you are grandfathered in then you have to login once a month. Previously, you had to update the hostname atleast once a month for it to stay active with a dyndns client (which was understandable). I also liked TZO for free dns but seems dyn.com already assimilated that company[:@] 

I have never used dyndns in business settings so I am not concerned about that aspect.  I have 5 hostnames and a couple of static IPs [:$] Back in the heyday of dotcom, it was much easier to assign an IP to a hostname instead of remembering each IP. But I can foresee problems for many users who use netgear and other routers (astaro) that have dyndns client built in and finding themselves without service since dyn.com is under no obligation to deliver their change of policy email to anyone.

I have not received this email personally but logged in just to make sure and everything works. I did find a copy posted on yahoo groups if anyone is interested.  Yahoo! Groups

Regards
    Bill
    If you google dynamic dns, you will find a number of options, but a lot of the domain names are garbage. I'm pretty choked that dyn.com is putting the screws to the users in this manner. I can see not taking on new users, but this latest tactic is pretty low. Makes me think if I do end up paying, it will be to anyone but them.
  • I hope you are correct but my limited research shows otherwise. There are no more free hostnames period. If you are grandfathered in then you have to login once a month. Previously, you had to update the hostname atleast once a month for it to stay active with a dyndns client (which was understandable). I also liked TZO for free dns but seems dyn.com already assimilated that company[:@] 

Regards
    Bill
    If you google dynamic dns, you will find a number of options, but a lot of the domain names are garbage. I'm pretty choked that dyn.com is putting the screws to the users in this manner. I can see not taking on new users, but this latest tactic is pretty low. Makes me think if I do end up paying, it will be to anyone but them.
Children
No Data