This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FYI: DynDNS / dyn.com policy change

I received an email from dyn.com (aka dyndns.org et al); apparently they're going to free require users to manually login every month or they will expire accounts.

Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.

(emphasis mine)

Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yes, the UTM supports dyndns and a few other services... it's in webadmin.

But, according to this news, you'll still need to login to their website monthly.

Barry
  • Shame on dyndns folks. I am in 100% support of them having a viable business model and they do need to make money to survive. But don't sugar coat it by saying "This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant" . Just say our business model has changed and we would like to sell you our product now.

I wouldn't be running a client if I didn't need the hostnames. The earlier mail about the hostnames that were not being updated resulting in their removal made complete sense but this is a little too much to ask[:@]

Any suggestions about other similar dns providers would be welcome.
  • Shame on dyndns folks. I am in 100% support of them having a viable business model and they do need to make money to survive. But don't sugar coat it by saying "This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant" . Just say our business model has changed and we would like to sell you our product now.

I wouldn't be running a client if I didn't need the hostnames. The earlier mail about the hostnames that were not being updated resulting in their removal made complete sense but this is a little too much to ask[:@]

Any suggestions about other similar dns providers would be welcome.
Children
No Data