This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Performance of the webadmin

Is it normal, that the webinterface is very slow? When login, the "please wait, caching objects..." takes very very long. Also my CPU is on 100% and all other applications are hanging until the login is completed. 

I am also facing problems when starting live log packt filter rules. Sometimes, it just stops, or doesnt filter and so on. Also when creating a report. Do you have any idea?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is it normal, that the webinterface is very slow?
    No

When login, the "please wait, caching objects..." takes very very long.
    This happens when your Astaro is running slow.

Also my CPU is on 100% and all other applications are hanging until the login is completed.
    Somethings wrong.  There are other posts in these forums about dealing with 100% usage issues.

I am also facing problems when starting live log packt filter rules. Sometimes, it just stops, or doesnt filter and so on. Also when creating a report. Do you have any idea?
    Probably related to the 100% utilitzation issues.  Work on that first.
  • The 7.100 beta is exhibiting improved webadmin interface performance... look for that to be released soon.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I could not fix it. First, i thought it is a firefox problem, but the same is with IE. I changed the workststation and had the same problem. I cannot say that the astaro is very slow. Average CPU is 30% and RAM Usage 35 %. But thank you for your reply.

I will wait for 7.1. :-(
  • Well, in general, when you're on the same network, the speed is pretty good... I was just saying 7.100 is even better.  Not sure why you're having speed issues with Webadmin, even on 7.011, unless you are trying to manage a unit remotely that is on a connection with a slow upload speed, like ADSL.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• hi, i still have problem with ASG320 V 7 and webadmin...
    it's slow, caching require long time and use 100% of cpu, new webadmin interface isn't  smart and sometimes ( very frequently ) cause borwser freeze.
    I've tried with firefox, ie6 and ie7... but is the same thing [:(]

for example, i need to add some users to the http proxy ( 120 users ) and there isn't a way to select them all and drag them into the user/group window; so i begin to move users 1 by 1 and after some minutes webadmin interface freeze ; now i need to make this job another time !!

the only thing i can do is to say another "CHE INTERFACCIA DI MERDA ! "
  • I would like to emphasize that the 7.011 web interface does crash quite frequently for both Firefox 2.0.0.X and IE6. This is a big time waster as I have to start another WebAdmin session, log in again, go to where I was working, etc.

The slow WebAdmin issue appear to be related to a basic overload that happens within the Astaro backend. Whenever there are "too many" packets to process, Astaro basically dedicates all its resources to processing the packets and everything else -- WebAdmin, NTP, DNS, etc -- does not work well (or at all). It doesn't work the same way every time as it depends on the load dynamics.

In my limited investigation, I see the worst slowdowns in Astaro when you are using packet filtering and NAT to support the operation of a virtual server -- i.e. BitTorrent. I found that using a proxy instead of NAT/packet filtering works better. The performance through the proxy is not that good, but Astaro itself does not get brought to its knees. This is not entirely true because if there is too much traffic through the proxy (say 250-300 connections), the HTTP filter/proxy will stop working and give "categorization error" for every HTTP request.

For me at least, the slowdowns and stoppages are not related to CPU usage as my CPU usage does not even hit 10% and my RAM usage doesn't even hit 35%.

Astaro 7.1 is supposed to speed things up and I am looking forward to when it gets out of beta test [8-)][H][:$][:)]
  • i'm waiting to complete the 7.1 upgrade released today ; i hope is better than 7.0x !

concerning ie6 and firefox crashes:  i found some problem while updating http and smtp proxy ( that require 30 seconds to be loaded ).. in this cases the webadmin interface freeze .

concerning CPU load :  my management workstation is a dual core cpu whit 2 gb ram, directly connected to the core-switch ( gigabit eth )... my asg320 configuration is a bit complicated and require 2 minutes of CACHING OBJECT.
  • Got bad news for you... we have had this problem for awhile now... and 7.2 hasn't fixed it at all. 

We have an ASG425 with 4 bridged ports. We run a packet filter with 60 rules against 80 Mbps of traffic. NO IPS/Proxy/DNS/NAT at all is running. Just a simple packet filter at this point. We even broke HA to keep that from being a burden.

I'm lucky to be able to log in, much less DO ANYTHING once logged in. Kinda thought the hardware behind the 425 would be able to handle this and much more- but unless the ticket we opened with them can magically show anything, then it's not going to be good.

BTW, we actually took another port (in the beginning) and dedicated it to be the 'management port'... separate from the 4 bridged ports that made the firewall into a transparent firewall. This was originally done just in case a knucklehead intro'd a rule that would block access to the firewall itself, or if a DDOS attack flooded the production path. But no DDOS, SSH'd 'top' shows nothing out of the ordinary, and I still can't log into the box.

sigh. I feel like Astaro is still 'growing up'. They'll likely fix this issue at SOME POINT, but probably not while we're still a customer. And that's too bad.
  • This slow webmin can be down to large numbers of objects.

We are using LDAP with eDirectory and using this to create user accounts so every user can use LDAP authentication to the user portal.  With 6,000 users, webmin takes some time to load...

Regards,
    Stuart
  • This slow webmin can be down to large numbers of objects.

We are using LDAP with eDirectory and using this to create user accounts so every user can use LDAP authentication to the user portal.  With 6,000 users, webmin takes some time to load...

Regards,
    Stuart
Children
No Data