License extension issue

Hi all,

i‘ve got a problem with basic-guard to full guard license renewal.
The current license will end on 29/10/2024 but the renewed license is A) not showing up in license portal yet and B) starting on 30/10/2024:

In the past new license was applied in myUTM before end date so you could download a license file that contain the old AND new license.
You could upload that file to webadmin and ready to go - smooth transition.

But: in this case there is no complete license file.
I cannot upload new license on 29/10 as not available and not started yet and appliance will probably become unlicensed on 29/10 23:59?
Will appliance/webadmin be still accessible after old license expires remotely? Looks like i can upload new license file only the day after the old one really expired. But i will likely have no access remotely then?

Any ideas howto handle this?

The best would be to get a full license file that contains both licenses to upload upfront. Or at least overlap start-/end-date for at least one day.
Unfortunately licensing support does not want to provide such a file or is not able to. Requests regarding this are ignored.

I need a real-world usable solution for this.
You cannot explain any downtime to customer due to license renewal that‘s already paid…

I had a few appliances with that recently and currently two licenses with this issue upcoming.
There must be a workflow for that. (please no „just switch to XGS instead of renew SG“, in this case customer likes to use until EoL date as there no special requirements)

added info on licenses
[bearbeitet von: FFin um 5:21 PM (GMT -7) am 12 Sep 2024]
Parents
  • Do you see the API Calls in history, that the license was applied? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• yes, those are applied for both cases, i‘m currently dealing with:

• We can confirm issues with BasicGuard renewals with our customers...last renewal: BasicGuard will stopp 12.10.2024 (already removed in myutm) new renwal licence for FullGuard (in myutm) starts 13.10.2024! How to do a renewal without interruption? Just crazy how Sophos do this...seems thinking not allowed - and such an efford for this "peanut"-Licences...

• Recent solution - within 3rd Support case: Support can provide 7-day temporary license (no future start-date, only from today). So you can apply temporary license 2-3 days before end and replance with new license after start date.

• Sure you can ask for a temp. license -> then import these license -> wait until the new renewal license will start -> import the renewal license -> working (maybe next year same fun...)

Now count your time efford for all these steps (maybe Sophos will write you some mails back until they understand your obviously problem and until you'll receive the temp. license (of course this happens after you had received some out of office mails from your initial sophos contacts first - yeah real comedy)) and then check what you/your company will earn for this renewal license...Not a very smart way.

Sorry but for me this happens MAINLY if you don´t trust your partners (gold level) and don´t give them an easy way to get a small amount or maybe 7-day temporary licenses to solve issues like this on their own - it always becomes more complicated to call it partnership...

regards

• Oh I forgot...when finshed...use your time and "Tell us how we did!"...

:-D

• Essentially Sophos is looking into a solution to fix this for a long run. 

The challenge is basically the firewall and myUTM portal, which cannot build a license as needed / work with a license like that. 

This is an ongoing investigation of how to tackle this overlapping of BG to FG. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Normally you should consider that before you kill a license option like "Basic Guard" from one day to the next... but not 1 year later...JUST annoying and nearly issues with every BG renewal...

• We are tracking this for a longer time and looking into this. Most scenarios, we are talking to SG105/115 customer, they were on their way to migrate to SFOS anyway. 

Did you escalate this subject recently, if this struggles your installation basis? 
    As  stated, this is the first post in the community talking about this. 

• But this is sure not the first support case for this issue for Sophos Support/Care - it´s just public now and shows that Sophos was not able to solve this issue since they killed the BasicGuard License 1 year ago...

Yes migration to SFOS/Central is always the solution for Sophos... But if the customer device is 2 or 3 years old?!? The customer will extend the old UTM licence first of course... Also if you compare the price of an UTM Device with BasicGuard and now with SFOS (and e.g. for e-mail protection (+additional licence) there are some major missing features now in SFOS compared to UTM even with BasicGuard!)...

As you can see a lot of homework to do for Sophos (especially for smaller customers) as I can tell you... But it also seems to us that Sophos is not interested in the opinion of their partners...

Here we serve our food..."oh... yes we had an "all you can eat" option years ago"! Now we offer you different courses but we guarantee you´ll be fed up like with the "all you can eat option" (you just have to pay each course)...

We are not able to open a support case for every issue here (always for the same problem!) just because Sophos don´t provide a serious solution here...

We´ll try to fix it as fast as possible but can not guarantee without interruption - we´ll communicate that to our customers of course and maybe you´ll lose some customers in future because of Sophos business decissions (made from economists and not from technicans) ...

• I do not want to make the same discussion in this community thread about missing features, as it it not related to the initial issue.

I can only say, we are looking into this for a resolution in the long run.

• Yes we´re looking forward :-)

And don´t take it personally - you´re not responsible for the decissions Sophos made here in the past and you´ll also not be able to change anything here...

You try to answer and to help here...

So best regards

Reply Children
No Data