XGS <> NAT <> Internet <> UTM Site2Site IPSEC VPN

Hello, 

we newly set up a IPSEC Site2Site VPN tunnel between a XGS and a UTM firewall. 

The UTM have direct internet connection. The XGS is connect with a NAT Router (fritzbox). 

The IPSEC Tunnel is connected and stable:

But I can’t reach the computers on the lan interfaces.

XGS LAN is 10.200.1.1/16
UTM is 10.1.1.1/16

I create firewall rules on both devices:

But I can’t reach the device on the other side.

Firewall Rules:

ICMP Rules:

The strange thing is I can see the pakets in a tcpdump.

Ping form utm 10.1.1.2 to xgs 10.200.1.1 Replys but ping doesn't show them.

Ping from xgs 10.200.1.1 to 10.1.1.2. No reply’s

Change wrong Screenshot
[edited by: Firewall-Tom at 6:41 PM (GMT -7) on 23 Aug 2024]
  • at which device `did you create the tcpdump?

Why we see 10.81.0.1 while you ping from 10.200.1.1 ... this is not included in tunnel and may be lost.

Do not ping from firewall. Use a device behind firewall and ping another "device" at the other end.

Self generated traffic (system-traffic) may be not handled like endpoint-traffic.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Thank you.

The XGS create the tcpdumps. 10.81.0.1 was a wrong screenshot. I change the picture.

Here are the client pings:

XGS=10.200.1.1/16
    Laptop=10.200.5.1/16

UTM=10.1.1.2/16
    Laptop=10.1.1.1/16

Ping from XGS Client to utm:

Ping from UTM-Client to XGS:

• Hallo tom,

auf dem letzten Screenshot (unten - rechts) kommt das Paket aus dem IPSec Tunnel und geht auf einem physikalischen Interface raus.

Allerdings kommt keine Antwort. Kann die XGS das 10.200.5.1 pingen, oder antwortet das Gerät einfach nicht?

Auf dem oberen der neuen Screenshots sieht es komisch aus ... Das Paket geht nach "TUN0" nicht nach "ipsec0".

Die Kombination ipsec0 und tun0 ist ganz oben auch schon zu sehen. Da nehmen Pakete evtl. den falschen Weg.

Wie ist denn die Route-precedence eingestellt?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner

• Hallo Dirk,

ja das physikalischen Interface ist Port1. Hier ist das Laptop aktuell direkt angeschlossen.

Die Firewall wurde gestern ausgepackt und alle Einstellungen noch auf default (Route-precedence). Leider habe ich aktuell keinen Zugriff mehr, so dass ich bis Montag warten muss.

Vor dem IPSec Tunnel habe ich es mit einem SSL-Site2Site-Tunnel versucht. Stammt TUN0 vielleicht noch aus der Config? Ich meine ich habe sie nur disabled aber nicht gelöscht.

Aus Verzweifelung habe ich gestern noch einen IPSEC Tunnel, von dieser neuen XGS, zu einer anderen bestehenden XGS testweise konfiguriert (Wizard). Die Bestands XGS hat ein anderes LAN Subnetz (192.168.1.0/24) damit klappt es sofort. Daher gehe ich davon aus, dass das Laptop ICMP Antwortpakete sendet.

Ich schicke Montag neue Infos. Danke für deine Zeit !!

Tom

• Hi @Firewall-Tom, do you have sslvpn also configured on XGS? unless sslvpn (remote access or site2site) is configured, you should not be seeing packets on tun0 interface on xgs. If sslvpn is out of context, can you disable sslvpn and try pinging from xgs' client to utm' client?

Also, when you say this - is this the LAN side ip config on XGS? why the subnets are not matching on xgs side LAN and the laptop connected to XGS?

XGS=10.200.1.1/16
    Laptop=10.200.5.1/16

• Deactivation of Interfaces (or VPNs i think) didn't clear the routing tables at XGS.
    Remove the not needed configuration or the "destination" definition.

Dirk

• Absolutely right, Dirk! You hit the nail on the head :-)

I deleted the SSL S2S config and everything works as expected. Thank you very much!!