This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The sophos UTM DNS / DHCP ui is counter-intuitive to use. How do I make it easier?

The burr under my saddle all these years that I have been running a UTM has been the wonkyness of the UI for DNS and DHCP.  It has finally reached a point where I am tired of dealing with it.

:D

First is DNS.  I have the UTM's DNS forwarded to the domain controller on the network.  The domain controller is also providing DHCP services for the network.  Even though manual PTR lookups from any host on the network will return a valid name, the UTM chokes:

Does anyone know why I am getting "RESOLVING" as opposed to a valid hostname?

Thanks!

John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi John and welcome to the UTM Community!

Try DNS best practice and let us know if your resolution times improve.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • So I have been a lurker since about 2010 and when the forums switched to the new format I guess my user account was blown out.  But thanks for the welcome!!

:D

Last night after I posted I found the recommendation to put in a request routing for the in-addr.arpa of the RFC1918 subnet in play.  Honestly, I do not understand the under-the-hood-reason why that needs to be done, but I went with it:

But now the I am getting NXDOMAIN:

That is clearly in error:

• The older posts likely are associated to a different email address.

Hmm, that is strange.  How does your setup differ from DNS best practice?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • All clients get DNS services from the domain controller.

The domain controller is authoritative for its zone and gets its external DNS resolution from a FreeBSD box running BIND.

The UTM is pointed to the domain controller via forwarding:

Reply Children