Sophos DNS Protection and On Prem Windows DNS Server

I've setup DNS protection but in testing the block list it's not blocking the website.

So we have a different setup. And I'm wondering if this is causing the issue.

• We have an office. 
  • vpn between office and cloud servers.
  • Domain controller/DNS server is in the datacenter. 

Our office pc's DNS server is pointing to the datacenter domain controller/dns server. 

I setup the dns server according to this article. 
Configure Windows Server to use DNS Protection - Sophos Central Admin

I also setup our sophos xg firewall according to this article. 
Configure Sophos Firewall to use DNS Protection - Sophos Central Admin

I've tried going to some of the not allowed types of website that I setup to block using the keep it clean policy. But the websites still browse normally. I also setup marlboro.com to specifically block in the customized list filtering. The website is still viewable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

small edit to clarify setup more
[edited by: Alberto Solano at 4:40 PM (GMT -7) on 12 Mar 2024]
Parents
  • Hi Alberto,

My immediate thought is that the Location settings may not be correct. If all the DNS requests from your network are coming to us via the Domain controller/DNS Server in the data center, you will need to make sure that the public IP address used by outbound connections from your data center is added to the Location configured in your account.

As far as our DNS resolution servers are concerned, the origin of the requests is your data center and not your office network.

Hope this helps,

Rich

• Hi Alberto,

My immediate thought is that the Location settings may not be correct. If all the DNS requests from your network are coming to us via the Domain controller/DNS Server in the data center, you will need to make sure that the public IP address used by outbound connections from your data center is added to the Location configured in your account.

As far as our DNS resolution servers are concerned, the origin of the requests is your data center and not your office network.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Children