Disclaimer: This information is provided as-is for the benefit of the Community. Please contact Sophos Professional Services if you require assistance with your specific environment.
This recommended read describes the workaround regarding OpenVPN 3.4.0 won't connect due to Unsupported Options.
The release of OpenVPN 3.4 started validating the OpenVPN parameters; if the input parameters are redundant/unsupported, this will cause a Connection Failed (specifically UNSUPPORTED OPTIONS) when a user tries to connect using OpenVPN.
The route-delay command is the specific option that causes the connection to fail; this option is used/needed when addresses are issued dynamically to the tunnel interfaces. This setting is still necessary for the OVPN version in Sophos Connect.
1. Access via SSH the Sophos Firewall
2. Press 5 > 3 in the Main Menu to land in the Advanced Shell
3. Enter the following line: vi /content/sslvpn/client-config-template.ovpn
The above command will open the file called client-configuration-template in the vi editor
4. Press the Down Arrow on your keyboard until you see the pointer is at "route-delay 4.",
5. Press the letter "i" on your keyboard to enter INSERT mode in vi, and press the semicolon symbol (;) on your keyboard
6. Press the key ESC on your keyboard followed by :x or:wq (you should see the :X On the left bottom corner of your screen (Advanced Shell)
After this change, ask the user to access the User Portal to re-download the configuration, and the user won't be presented with the Unsupported Options error when trying to connect.
Note: This won't survive a Firmware update, so you’ll need to re-enter the commands after doing a Firmware Upgrade
Note: Sophos is aware of this error and plans to work on fixing this in the upcoming v19.5MR4 and v20.0MR1.
The latest mobile client updates on iOS/Android has added support to ignore unsupported attribute; the issue isn’t solved for Desktop clients.
For UTM Firewall, kindly check the the following link:
[edited by: emmosophos at 4:19 PM (GMT -8) on 20 Nov 2023]