This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Password protected PDF not classified as encrypted archive

Hello,

I'm a little confused by one of the functions of email protection. One of our customers mentioned that PDF files which are protected by a password aren't redirected to quarantine while other files like Word, Excel or ZIPs with a password were redirected there. I tested it and had the same behavior. Now I got a reply from Sophos, saying it's the wanted behavior and there's no bug in the firmware.

Is there any way to send PDF to the quarantine if there is a password set, since I don't want to make a difference between unscannable files regarding the file type?

Thanks for your help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Please ask Support what they mean by wanted behavior. Is the PDF file scanned even though it's password-protected?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

Password protected files cannot be scanned and prevented, to quarantine such files you need to select the "Quarantine unscannable and encrypted content" option located under Email Protection> SMTP > AntiVirus. I also request you to configure Dual Scan for maximum security.

I am interested to know which is the Firmware Version on UTM.

Hope thats helps.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Sachin, from his description, one must assume that checkbox already was selected.  Maybe you could get his case # and let us know what the "wanted behavior" was.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • UTM 9.605-1 Same problem, we get spam this way, .pdf password protected fraud email