USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]
  • Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1
[/LIST]
  •  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.
[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred
  • Wow, thanks for the info!

Astaro, could you please streamline this?

Barry
  • Just tried this with the newest ISO and had to use /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb2.  However, the remainder of the install was flawless!  Thanks!
  • In reply to nicadmin:

Great job Fred!

Just tried this method to re-install the latest ASG software on my old box that's heading to a friend this week.  Your instructions worked just as described.

As nicadmin noted, I also had to reference '/dev/sdb1'.  I just used the old trusty method of interrogating the dmesg to positively identify the USB device and appropriate partition.

bash-3.2# dmesg | grep sdb

To summarize, well I think it's fair to say you've saved many hours of user's time and effort in the future by documenting this easy-USB-install method.

In fact, last night I had already installed the lastest ASG on the very same box (but the box doesn't have an optical drive fitted); dig out CD-ROM drive, dig out IDE cable, dig out molex power supply, hook it all ap, wait and wait for spinning action to install ASG.  Well it's all a heck of a lot more hassle than the USB method I just used!

Perhaps these instructions could find their way into the knowledgebase?
  • Wow!  Just installed 8.102 on a Xeon 2.8 box in 7 minutes!  I tried doing this before but failed without the shell interaction you have provided and just listened to Astaro that it wouldn't work unless you had the thumb drive that emulated a CD-ROM.

FYI, I too had to use /dev/sdb1, but that's easy to figure out.

Astaro can definitely incorporate that fairly easily.  I'm not sure why they haven't already.  It saves time...and for those of us not only using this at home, time is money.

Eric
  • FWIW, this doesn't work on 7.507.
    / is only 29 MB so the copy fails.
    I also tried ln -s instead of cp, but it still fails.

Barry
  • Great Job!!
    Would it work for Astaro Appliances??
  • It should. 
    You need to first wipe the disk when converting a licensed appliance to a software license.
    And you'll need a monitor and keyboard hooked up; no headless install for the software version.

Barry
  • is there a way to let it run from the usb? i don't want to wipe the drive (irreplaceable old software i still use a couple times a year)

i guess i could buy a new drive and run off that

thx
  • Get another drive.

Barry
  • In reply to BarryG:

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
    [LIST=1]
    • Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
    •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
    •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
    •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
    •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
    •  Press  to Start the Installer 
    •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
    •  Follow this sequence:
      [LIST=1]
    •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
    •  bash-3.2# cd /install
    •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
    •  bash-3.2# cd install
    •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
    •  Hit Alt-F1
    [/LIST]
    •  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.
    [/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
    -fred

Dear thefred,

you're a genius!

Thanks to your help, I managed to install Astaro Security Gateway 8.103 on a flepo mini pc delta, a Barebone with 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD.

Many Thanks!
    xplane
  • can't get it to work, it always gives "cannot find install.tar in installation media"
    using asg-8.102-2.1.iso

tried the instructions provided(had to use sdb1 as sdb2 fails to mount) twice, also tried unetbootin, same error.

any ideas?
  • In reply to Mast_01:

Read the instructions in the post again.  I just installed the same ISO onto oldish hardware and it worked flawlessly.  

Make sure you include the trailing period (full stop) on line 5 of the instructions!!!

Cheers to thefred!
  • doh i completely ignored the space and period....
  • Just wanted to add some finer points to this solution.

I have been trying to install to Dell PE 2650 I picked up for $50 which had only a broken CD ROM drive.... and of course doesn't support native USB boot Sad

Had endless dramas trying to solve the "install.tar not found" error.

I originally tried duplicating the install directory within the install directory in the ISO image before burning to USB ... this did not work for some reason?

Using the method described in this post ultimately worked with the following modifications.

My USB stick was sdb (only USB attached) use dmesg to identify you usb drive.

bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .  (the end part is asterix space period)  !! must wait for bash-3.2# prompt after entering this command, it took a good 3 minutes on my system for the copying to complete.

If you hit F1 and continue the install without waiting you get more "cant find this or that errors"

Excellent work on finding solution.  Thanks
  • EDIT:  If you read the previous version of my 'why isn't it working' post, ignore it.  I had 2 issues:

1) UUI failed with an error indicating that it couldn't write a bootsector (or some such) and that the drive wouldn't be bootable.  FIX: Format to FAT32 (was NTFS) first, then try again (or tick the 'Format' box to the right of the drive selection drop-down - I swear that it wasn't there when I first used UUI!  I just noticed it now!)

2) I couldn't boot the successfully created bootable flash drive on my ASG 110/120 (it booted fine in a PC).  FIX: Set the first boot device to 'USB-ZIP' and it will boot successfully!