This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reflashing bricked APs (AP10/30/50)

In case you've got a bricked AP10/30/50 here is new tool to reflash them from Windows.

WARNING:

•  This is an experimental tool and should only be used as a last resort if an AP is really bricked (a firmware update failed).
  •  If you're unsure if your AP is bricked don't use it.
  •  The AP configuration will be reset, hence, after a fw update you need to re-register the AP with the ASG.
  •  The AP will reflash itself once connected to the ASG again.

If only the power and wifi LED is constantly on for about 30 seconds and the power LED doesn't start to blink after some time the AP is most likely in a bad state and might need to be reflashed.

An updated version can be found here:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118843.aspx

Helmut

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Sweet! This has been asked about for a long time. Now I need to go brick a AP...
  • Nice Helmut, thanks.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Thanks Helmut. Will it be one for AP 50 ?
  • Thanks Helmut. Will it be one for AP 50 ?

This is planned, but not yet ready.
  • I've tried the tool, but so far have not been successful reflashing my AP10.

The instructions indicate to press the flash button prior to connecting and powering up the AP, but that always seems to result in 'Flash Aborted'.
    I have also tried powering up the AP with the reset button, and then hitting 'Flash' but that just seems to run forever (left it for over an hour).

I have connected the AP directly to the ethernet port of the machine, is this incorrect?  Do I need to use a crossover cable?  Thanks for the help.
  • I've tried the tool, but so far have not been successful reflashing my AP10.

The instructions indicate to press the flash button prior to connecting and powering up the AP, but that always seems to result in 'Flash Aborted'.
    I have also tried powering up the AP with the reset button, and then hitting 'Flash' but that just seems to run forever (left it for over an hour).

I have connected the AP directly to the ethernet port of the machine, is this incorrect?  Do I need to use a crossover cable?  Thanks for the help.

Hmm, if the PC has a gigabit network card you shouldn't need a crossover cable. If it's just an 100Mbit card you'd need a crossover cable or a switch/hub in-between.

Helmut
  • I'm trying on a second machine now, the first had gigabit nvidia network, the second is a laptop with intel gigabit network, but the results appear to be the same.  Is there anything you can tell me about the expected runtime of the flash?  If the power led isnt flashing after 20mins did it not work?  Any other log information I can enabled?
  • Do you see any output of the flash tool at all?
  • If the power led isnt flashing after 20mins did it not work?

Either the update didn't run at all or it didn't work, right.
  • This is the output I see:

Firmware folder C:\Users\MATT\Desktop
    \ap10\Firmware\ already exists
    TFTP: server created; path is C:\Users
    \MATT\Desktop\ap10\Firmware\
    TFTP: server started
    Successfully fetched network information
    Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    interface selected
    Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
    interface selected
    AP10 device selected
      To flash the AP10, you must:
         - make sure you have the desired network
            interface selected
         - make sure you have the desired AP firm-
           ware in the Firmware folder
         - press the Flash! button
         - connect the device on the desired inter-
           face
         - while pressing the front maintanance
           button, power-up the device
         - wait for the automated process to finish
         - DO NOT PULL THE AC CORD UNTIL POWER LED
           FLASHES SLOWLY

If I follow the directions exactly, I see 'Flash aborted' immediately.  If I powerup the AP before pressing "Flash" this is all I see.