This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise Console frozen after Server to Server Migration

Hello,

I'm migrating a Enterprise Console 4.7 from an W2k8 server machine to an W2K-R2 server machine (SEC 4.7 to SEC 4.7).

I'm doing this like it is discribed in the "server to server migration guide" (sec_4_mgeng.pdf).

All worked great, until I finished importing database, registry keys, and private store (Chapter 11, Page 17 in sec_4_meng.pdf)

and try to start SEC. It comes up without any error, shows all clients, policies, etc. but is frozen dead.

I can't do anything with SEC but killing it from the taskmanager.

hints welcome.

Kind regards

Joerg

:36115

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Joerg,

are you still having the problem? Never heard of something like that. Does the display update (you could force an alert from a client by e.g. changing the AV settings)? It sounds like an active (notification) pop-up which makes the main window inaccessible. But AFAIK these are both fixed in size and in front so you shouldn't miss them (the only way to hide them - apart from a "Window/Display manager" software - is overlaying them with another application's window, but clicking SEC in the task bar should bring them to the foreground).

Christian

:36163
  • Hello Christian,

I just solved it.

I rolled back the new SEC Server machine to the point, where I have to start with the database import, copied the CID-Folder from the old SEC-Server to the new one and restarted the import and all following steps.

Now Enterprise Console is running.

Just coping the CID-Folder and restarting the machine did not solve the problem.

kind regards,

Joerg

:36165
  • Hello Joerg,

good to hear it works. One remark though - you don't need to copy anything else besides the exports/backup (and the table_router.txt), in fact it is preferable to not do it. Re-reading your initial post - you were migrating from W2k8 to W2k8-R2, weren't you?

Christian

:36167
  • Hello Christian,

yes, i am migrating from Windows Server 2008 to a new Server with Windows Server 2008 R2.

It's just the first step on our way from SEC 4.7 to SEC 5.1

kind regards,

Joerg

:36169
  • Hi,

I have the same problem at the moment. I was migration SEC 5.2.1 from Windows Server 2003 32bit to Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit. I did everything as described by sophos. The only differenze was, that I had to restore the Databases with SQL Management Studio. I set the Databasepermissions as in the old system.

Starting the Enterprise Console on the new Server the first time, it came up with the message that there is no configures update manager. I am not able to make any changes to the configuration because the Enterprise Console ist totally frozen.

I did the migration in an VM several times, because I thought I had made a failure. But the result is always the same.

Could anybody help me?

Thomas

:48520
  • Hello Thomas,

does SEC come up before you restore the database [Edit: this is nonsense - you install the Management Server and Console components after restoring the database] and how does this frozen look (I vaguely remember a case where the SUM wizard popup was overlaid and thus the console seemed unresponsive).

I had to restore the Databases with SQL Management Studio

Why? What did not work with DataBackupRestore.exe?

Christian

:48544
  • Hello Christian,

as described in the manual I installed SEC Database Components first. Then I restored the databases and certificationmanger.reg. I used the management studio because databackupandrestore.exe fails because of wrong because the path to the database files changes from Windows 2003 32bit zo Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit. I found the problem described in another article.

The I continued with step 9 and did everything as it should be.

Frozen means, that I can see everything in the Enterprise Console, even if a Computer is online or not. There is an message in the middle that says, that there is no configured update manager. The SumWizard does not start automatically. I can't do anything with the mouse or with the keyboard. The only thing I can do is to bring the SEC window in the front or into the back. Alt-Tab or Alt-ESC brings no hidden window to the front.

To close the SEC it is nesessary to use the Task Manager.

Hope this will help you, to help me.

Kind Regards

Thomas

SEC.jpg

:48552
  • Hello Thomas,

you are not Thomas "tomerb", are you? Just found the thread I've mentioned: Strange behaviour after migration. Unfortunately he didn't tell use how he managed to get it running in the end (or maybe he gave up with the migration - anyway a later posts suggests 5.2.1 was up and running). No wonder I can't remember the solution.

Before giving the Remote Console a try (in the hope that it's help) please switch your locale to UK English. It's a crazy idea but not much effort.

Christian

:48554
  • Hi Christian,

the at first: I am another Thomas with the same problem.

Changing the system language to english has no efford. An now something very strange: Installing and starting a remote console behaves in the same way as the console on the management server. Its frozen and I am not able to do anything. The only way to close the SEC is to kill the process in the task manager.

Is there a way to create and configure a working update manager with a software subscription via command line or by directly editing the database? Is there an alternative possibility to about 400 clients from one server to another clean fresh an clean installed server without visiting every client and uninstall, install sophos manual?

Thomas

:48556
  • Hello Thomas,

I am another Thomas with the same problem

this reminds us once again that improbable is not impossible :smileyvery-happy:

a remote console behaves in the same way

Installed on a different OS? Did you run the Remote Console also from an RDP session? But anyway it seems reproducible so you should call Support - maybe the "other Thomas" did the same. I have no idea how the Wizard can be suppressed - or how to cancel it if the pop-up doesn't get focus/can't be brought to front. Wonder what causes the pop-up to slip to the background. Looks like the residual of the pop-up in in the place of the small splash screen.

No need to think about a complete reinstall at this point though.

Christian

:48572