This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OS Customization fails in VMware vm

We have a VMWare environment, I have done the guide on making a Golden image as specified here https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/120560. When I start the new vm it goes through the process of starting the OScustomization change hostname ,SID, etc., then fails with this error Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume the configuration, restart the computer. I have done the same customization without sophos installed and it went through. What else do I need to do to get it to work? the OS is server 2016 in vmware 6.5.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

I've been faced with the same problem. The cause is tamper protection.
    For the generalization with Sysprep to work, we had to deactivate the tamper protection!
    It seems that Tamper Protection blocks access to certain registry keys.

When following the KBA, the last line of the SophosGoldImagePrep.txt script must be commented out.

>echo Enable Tamper Protection
    >REM "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Endpoint Defense\SEDcli.exe" -TPon | rem

This behavior occurs with Windows 2016. With Windows 2019 this is not necessary.

• I worked with support and so far when we stop the MCS service it runs fine, now we need to create a startup script that runs once  to reenable the MCS service and then deletes itself if the server name is not the same as the golden image. 

• Hi James, thanks for your update, it helped a lot [:)] We're experiencing the same problem with our Server 2019 Datacentre edition template in vSphere 6.7, running the unmodified gold image prep script (which works fine with VDI clients) we get the "Windows could not finish configuring the system" message and the Shift+F10 method of completing the process fails too. So using your suggestion we've modified the prep script to also re-configure both MCS Agent and Client services as Manual Start and leave Tamper Protection disabled, at which point the process runs fine. It's not a great fix as, like you say, the services then need re-enabling after deployment which is a pain. So see below our script to re-enable them, it's just a quick butchering of the gold image prep script just in reverse, it just needs to be scheduled to run on local administrator login and seems to do the trick. There's no real need to delete it afterwards either as it'll run so infrequently if ever (if you don't regularly login as local admin that is). We'll get a ticket logged with support too to ensure they're aware there's a continuing problem. Cheers, Ken.

REM Sophos post-Gold Image Re-enable Services script

rem @echo off
    set GOLD_IMAGE_HOSTNAME=CHANGE_ME

echo Checking if the system is NOT the gold image anymore
    IF /i NOT "%COMPUTERNAME%" == "%GOLD_IMAGE_HOSTNAME%" GOTO RESET
    echo System is the gold image, exiting
    EXIT

echo Checking if Sophos MCS Agent service is still Manual
    for /f "tokens=3 " %%i in ('call reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sophos MCS Agent" /v Start') do (
    if "%%i"=="0x3" goto RESET
    )

echo Checking if Sophos MCS Client service is still Manual
    for /f "tokens=3 " %%i in ('call reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sophos MCS Client" /v Start') do (
    )
    EXIT

:RESET
    echo System is NOT the gold image, proceeding with restoring Sophos services

echo Configure the services before starting them, otherwise they get locked down
    SC CONFIG "Sophos MCS Agent" start= auto | rem
    SC CONFIG "Sophos MCS Client" start= delayed-auto | rem

echo Turning MCS Agent on and waiting 5 seconds
    SC START "Sophos MCS Agent" | rem
    TIMEOUT 5

echo Turning MCS Client on and waiting 5 seconds
    TIMEOUT 5
    SC START "Sophos MCS Client" | rem

echo Re-Enable Tamper Protection
    "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Endpoint Defense\SEDcli.exe" -TPon | rem

• Hi James, thanks for your update, it helped a lot [:)] We're experiencing the same problem with our Server 2019 Datacentre edition template in vSphere 6.7, running the unmodified gold image prep script (which works fine with VDI clients) we get the "Windows could not finish configuring the system" message and the Shift+F10 method of completing the process fails too. So using your suggestion we've modified the prep script to also re-configure both MCS Agent and Client services as Manual Start and leave Tamper Protection disabled, at which point the process runs fine. It's not a great fix as, like you say, the services then need re-enabling after deployment which is a pain. So see below our script to re-enable them, it's just a quick butchering of the gold image prep script just in reverse, it just needs to be scheduled to run on local administrator login and seems to do the trick. There's no real need to delete it afterwards either as it'll run so infrequently if ever (if you don't regularly login as local admin that is). We'll get a ticket logged with support too to ensure they're aware there's a continuing problem. Cheers, Ken.

REM Sophos post-Gold Image Re-enable Services script

rem @echo off
    set GOLD_IMAGE_HOSTNAME=CHANGE_ME

echo Checking if the system is NOT the gold image anymore
    IF /i NOT "%COMPUTERNAME%" == "%GOLD_IMAGE_HOSTNAME%" GOTO RESET
    echo System is the gold image, exiting
    EXIT

echo Checking if Sophos MCS Agent service is still Manual
    for /f "tokens=3 " %%i in ('call reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sophos MCS Agent" /v Start') do (
    )

echo Checking if Sophos MCS Client service is still Manual
    for /f "tokens=3 " %%i in ('call reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sophos MCS Client" /v Start') do (
    )
    EXIT

:RESET
    echo System is NOT the gold image, proceeding with restoring Sophos services

echo Configure the services before starting them, otherwise they get locked down
    SC CONFIG "Sophos MCS Agent" start= auto | rem
    SC CONFIG "Sophos MCS Client" start= delayed-auto | rem

echo Turning MCS Agent on and waiting 5 seconds
    SC START "Sophos MCS Agent" | rem
    TIMEOUT 5

echo Turning MCS Client on and waiting 5 seconds
    TIMEOUT 5
    SC START "Sophos MCS Client" | rem

echo Re-Enable Tamper Protection
    "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Endpoint Defense\SEDcli.exe" -TPon | rem

Children
No Data