This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Failed to install Sophos from console

Hi,

I'm new with sophos console I hope you can help me with this:

- I have several machines joined to my domain, those were imported from the Active Directory and are listed on the no assigned group. 

- I've installed Sophos from the console but some of PCs failed the installation showing this code 0000002e and refering to this guide "29287 - Deployment errors are displayed in the console when protecting endpoint computers"

- I have ensured that the PC's firewall is down and can succesfully reach the ping from the server and viceversa.

- The PCs are running windows 7 and I can reach my \\<servername>\SophosUpdate\ 

- Already did a ipconfig /registerdns but nothing seems to work.

Do you have any idea of what is wrong or what I'm missing?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Marco Torres,

what is the message text that accompanies the error? Did you check all the items listed in 29287?
    Was the task created (please see also How does the 'Protect computers wizard' perform an installation)? As setup.exe then calls the Windows Installer service another install in progress might cause Protect to fail - occasionally there are machines where an (extra) msiexec.exe is running but never finishes.

Christian

• This is the whole message error:

from 29287 i've checked:

1. The computer is switched on and connected to the network.

Is correct, I can succesfully ping the PC from the server and viceversa (by name and by IP) but now i've realized it looks that the server is not requesting ICMP to the actual name of the PC. 

C:\Users\marco.torres>ping 10.30.22.39

Haciendo ping a 10.30.22.39 con 32 bytes de datos:
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.39: bytes=32 tiempo=3ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.39: bytes=32 tiempo=1ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.39: bytes=32 tiempo=2ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.39: bytes=32 tiempo=1ms TTL=126

Estadísticas de ping para 10.30.22.39:
    Paquetes: enviados = 4, recibidos = 4, perdidos = 0
    (0% perdidos),
    Tiempos aproximados de ida y vuelta en milisegundos:
    Mínimo = 1ms, Máximo = 3ms, Media = 1ms

C:\Users\marco.torres>ping GCT088-OABT

Haciendo ping a GCT088-OABT.PRICHINTCC.INT [10.30.22.71] con 32 bytes de datos:
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.71: bytes=32 tiempo=2ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.71: bytes=32 tiempo=1ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.71: bytes=32 tiempo=4ms TTL=126
    Respuesta desde 10.30.22.71: bytes=32 tiempo=1ms TTL=126

Estadísticas de ping para 10.30.22.71:
    Paquetes: enviados = 4, recibidos = 4, perdidos = 0
    (0% perdidos),
    Tiempos aproximados de ida y vuelta en milisegundos:
    Mínimo = 1ms, Máximo = 4ms, Media = 2ms

I'm trying to find the cause of this to solve it, in the meantime, do you have an idea of this behaviour?

• Hello Marco Torres,

while network connectivity is the first thing to check (similar to: Is the power cable plugged in?) it's not the only cause. Please check also the other items from the article and what I've mentioned in the previous post. Task Scheduler or Installer are often the cause when "it works on the other computers".

BTW: You don't have to use Protect, setup.exe can be run with a GPO for example.

Christian

• I've followed the guides and couldn't find anything wrong.

I was able to run only the manual setup from the PC, after that I was able to reach and manage the PC from the console.

Thanks.