This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Client Firewall fails to install with "Log reader error: could not format string."

I have Sophos Endpoint Security and Control V10.8 on Windows 10. It is updated directly from Sophos, not from any management centre. On Monday 11 Oct at 15:56 an update tried to install a new version of the Sophos Client Firewall and failed with the error "Log reader error: could not format string." This now happens everytime an update occurs and it tries to update the firewall. It also happens on my partners laptop which has Windows 8. The other parts of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control seem to updating fine. The client firewall I have installed at present is V3.0.6. Could it be a newer version of the firewall has introduced an installation problem?

Yours

Chris

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Chris and Christine,

the stand-alone (unmanaged) version ESC provides wasn't meant as a "personal" one - just an aside.
    SCF - that reached  EOL on June 30th -  has effectively been retired and and replaced by a stub in August update (see Components for the release dates).  As it's no longer supported it should be uninstalled. It looks like the stub is gone (which leads to the updating error) but the download does not fail - this might or might not be deliberate.

Christian

• Ok, so you're saying Sophos is no longer provding any Firewall product for unmanaged ESC, we have to use the Windows firewall or another provider to get firewall protection back?

I have turned off SCF, turned on Windows Defender, uninstalled SCF and done an update and the install failure errors have gone and SCF has dissapeared from the SESC Console.

Chris

• In fact I seem to have sorted out my problem by uninstalling and reinstalling. I had tried this on another workstation and Windows Defender was preventing it but that's now sorted too. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but my recent problems with updating seem to have gone away. Many thanks to all who tried to help

• Hello Chris,

Sophos is no longer providing any Firewall product for unmanaged ESC
    no longer a Client Firewall at all. Never had one in Central/Intercept X, for ESC doesn't matter whether managed or SA 

Christian

• Hello Chris,

Sophos is no longer providing any Firewall product for unmanaged ESC
    no longer a Client Firewall at all. Never had one in Central/Intercept X, for ESC doesn't matter whether managed or SA 

Christian

Children
No Data