This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

reinstall of Sophos Enterpise Console fails

Hi community,

after a failed migration of our SEC-installatiojn following https://docs.sophos.com/esg/enterprise-console/5-5/help/en-us/PDF/sec_55_mgeng.pdf , I ended up with a total unusable system (services wouldn't start, etc.)

Since I was unable to uninstall components using control panel\installed programs I removed them manually by running "msiexec /X <product string>" (the uninstall string, I retrieved by using https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000033686?language=en_US )

I am trying to do a complete reinstall of SEC and reprotecting my clients from the new SEC server.

When trying to do so, the installation terminates with the message that Sophos Update Manager is already installed, and should be uninstalled first.

In the log file, the error message reads:

30.03.2021 08:56:55, INFO : Running System Property Check: Sophos Update Manager must not be installed on this computer...
30.03.2021 08:56:55, INFO : Product is installed on local system. Upgrade code: {D02E89AC-F27B-4BFA-8327-BE980F821C73}
30.03.2021 08:56:55, ERROR : System Property Check: Sophos Update Manager must not be installed on this computer - FAILED

There is no such string present in the registry.

Even with running process manager on the system while running the installer, I get no information about "D02E89AC-F27B-4BFA-8327-BE980F821C73" being accessed.

Please advise on how to get rid of SUM.

Thank you very much in advance.

Reagrds

Tobias

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Tobias,

I removed them manually [...] how to get rid of SUM
    you did or you did not uninstall SUM (productcode is {2C7A82DB-69BC-4198-AC26-BB862F1BE4D0}). It's no longer under Programs and Features and the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\BD28A7C2CB968914CA62BB68F2B14E0D
    no longer exists?  If this is the case it's likely the key ...\Installer\UpgradeCodes\CA98E20DB72FAFB43872EB89F028C137\ that's causing the message. CA98E20D...37 is the "packed" form of {D02E89AC-....73}.  Should be safe to remove if SUM is indeed not installed.

As you said failed migration and that you additionally were unable to uninstall components using control panel -  how come you think you won't run into the same problems?

Christian

• Hello Christian,

first: Thank you very much for providing me with an solution.

Second: I do not know, if I will run into the same problem. However I not plan to migrate the old server, again, but do a clean install, deploy the Endpoint Protection to our clients and decomission the old server afterwards. Hopefully, I will not experience any trouble when I am leaving any existing configurations behind and start from scratch.

Regards

Tobias

• Hello Christian,

first: Thank you very much for providing me with an solution.

Second: I do not know, if I will run into the same problem. However I not plan to migrate the old server, again, but do a clean install, deploy the Endpoint Protection to our clients and decomission the old server afterwards. Hopefully, I will not experience any trouble when I am leaving any existing configurations behind and start from scratch.

Regards

Tobias

Children
  • Hello Tobias,

migration should not cause such etc. issues. That is, up to SEC 5.5.1. Haven't migrated a SEC 5.5.2 - is this one?
    The restore (and thus migration) of database proper (with group and policy configuration) is normally not a problem. Might be that there's a problem with "migrating" the credentials.

Christian

• Hello Christian,

it is in fact a 5.5.2.

Credentials might very well be part of the problem, since the original installation is non-domain server, while the target is a  AD member-server. Usernames and password for Sophos DB-management and Update-Manager are the same, but domain-suffixes are of course different.

Regards

Tobias

• Hello Tobias,

I see. Hm, I've never migrated a SEC into or out of a domain. And as I've "been there" from SEC's start I rarely if ever followed the (migration) book In particular I've never migrated/imported credentials but always the certificates. Think I just re-entered the updating credentials (policies and SUM).
    Depends on the complexity of your setup whether re-doing group structure and policies or transferring the database and make it work is less effort (although the latter is not rocket-science).

Christian