This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Message Relay Chaining

I need to create a chained message relays and I don't find any documents to help me in this subject.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Mahmoud Fathi,

there are IMO rare instances where you actually need chained relays guess this is the reason this setup is not documented.. The configuring message relay computers article briefly mentions it under Technical information near the end of the article.

It's actually pretty straightforward and simple. You are probably familiar with mrinit.conf. The two important fields are:
    •  ParentRouterAddress - an endpoint checks whether its name or address matches one of those in this field. If not it considers itself an endpoint and tries to contact its upstream router at one of these addresses. Otherwise it considers itself a Message Relay and uses the
    •  MRParentAddress (short for Message Relay ParentAddress) to connect to its upstream router.

mrinit.conf for endpoints and relays that talk directly to the management server and the ManagementServer itself (<xxxxx> denotes applicable name/IP lists):
    MRParentAddress = <ManagementServer>
    ParentRouterAddress = <ManagementServer>

mrinit.conf for endpoints that talk via Relay1 and Relay1 itself:
    MRParentAddress = <ManagementServer>
    ParentRouterAddress = <Relay1>

mrinit.conf for endpoints that talk via the chain Relay2a-Relay1 and Relay2a itself:
    MRParentAddress = <Relay1>
    ParentRouterAddress = <Relay2a> 

mrinit.conf for endpoints that talk via the chain Relay2b-Relay1 and Relay2b itself:
    MRParentAddress = <Relay1>
    ParentRouterAddress = <Relay2b>

Christian

• Thanks Christian.

if I will create the Relay2a, do I need to create a new distribution point for this message relay ?

• Hello Mahmoud Fathi,

do I need to create a new distribution point
    as you can have one and only one mrinit.conf in a distribution point you need an additional one for each relay (described under What to do in the mentioned article). A common scenario are additional SUMs that are configured as Message Relays.

Christian