This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enpoint Protection Shield in System Tray

Hello - 

We have been Sophos users for quite some time now, using the on premise appliances and just recently (a week or so ago) started the move to Sophos Cloud.  Running into little things here and there and one of the latest is that I have a client that I have Endpoint Protection loaded up on, along with Cloud Web Gateway.  Everything looks like it is loaded, all services seem to be running, Green check marks across the board, the console seems to be updated and communicating.  All looks well.  However, I do not see the Sophos Endpoint icon in the system tray.  I do see the CWG icon, but not the Sophos Endpoint.

Might not sound like a big deal, but, if I have to troubleshoot on this (or any other computer) I am going to go looking for the existence of that icon to see if it is loaded and if it is not there, I may be led down a different troubleshooting path which may waste time.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Sophos Endpoint Version 11.5.4 

Windows 10 Client

Thanks -

Tom

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Is the process "Sophos UI.exe" running?

Also, as a double check it looks like this on the Central client rather than the previous shield:

The location of the file is here:
    "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos UI\Sophos UI.exe"

It is launched from the run registry key here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Sophos UI.exe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Sophos\\Sophos UI\\Sophos UI.exe\" /hidden"

Regards,
    Jak

• Thank you, Jak... I really appreciate the information and the response....

Well, I do see that file out there in the folder, the process is running, and I do see the run key set up properly from what I can tell.  However, no Sophos icon in the system tray.  Very strange.  I can call up the User Interface and really all looks well - just no icon.

I am going to try an uninstall / reinstall as this is the only machine that I have seen this on, and, admittedly it is not a huge deal, just was wondering if this was something that others have seen since we are just getting started with the cloud product.  Kind of wanted to avoid the uninstall / re-install thing, but, will do what I have to.

Thanks -

Tom

• Hello Tom,

not sure if the installer sets the Notification Area behaviour to Show icon and notifications. But guess jak would have mentioned this.

Christian

• Thank you, Christian.... just to put an update out on this....  Uninstalled the Cloud Web Gateway first on my way to uninstalling the whole thing, and then rebooted, and once the computer came back up and I logged in, the Sophos "S" icon appeared in the system tray.  I went ahead and re-installed CWG and all seems well....  Strange behavior that we will keep an eye on.

I appreciate both of your feedback.... thank you for taking the time.

Tom