This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10 CD/DVD-ROM issue

Hello all,

I believe I may have discovered an issue relating to Windows 10 and the Sophos endpoint agent.  I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and checked device manager to find that my DVD-RW was not functioning properly.  If I uninstall the device, rescan for hardware changes and let it automatically reinstall, it functions properly again.  Upon rebooting, the DVD-RW stops functioning again until I repeat the aforementioned steps.  I have noticed that after rebooting, a second driver is added for the DVD-RW from Sophos: sdcfilter.sys.  Presumably this is needed for the endpoint agent to perform device control functions such as blocking writable drivers which we do utilize in our environment.  I'm not positive this is causing the issue, but that evidence suggests that.  I am going to report this to Sophos support in hopes that it might be a bug that could be corrected in the upcoming 10.6 release for all those early adopters but I thought I'd post it on the forums as well in case anyone had a similar experience.  I've attached two screenshots to support my post.

J

:58206

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Jak,

Your answer seems to be my fix!

So far on the computers I've troubleshooted that were upgraded to Win10 and the DVD cdrom keeps disappearing from the File
    Explorer the sdcfilter driver isn't running or in the registry any longer.

I used MS Sysinternals Autoruns.exe to check if the driver is running or not.

the sdcfilter.sys is still on the HD and inf file still in the AutoUpdate cache area you mentioned.
    Right clicking on the inf file and installing works great!

Thanks...
    mikej
  • For computers where the CD-ROM device isn't functioning, I wonder if the sdcfilter service is not present on the computer but referenced as a lowerfilter on the device which leads to the issue?

If anyone has this problem, I would be interested to know:

1. If the computer was an upgrade to Windows 10 or a fresh install?

2. If an upgrade, was the computer upgraded from Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1?

3. If the computer has the service sdcfilter?  
    As a test to see if the service is present, in a command prompt run:

sc query sdcfilter

Note: The driver file sdcfilter.sys, should reside under: \windows\system32\drivers\

If you look in Device Manager at the CDROM device, in the broken state it will have a warning triangle.  Looking at the properties of the CD-ROM and then clicking on the "Driver" tab and clicking the "Driver Details" tab should show at least the path to cdrom.sys and sdcfilter.sys when device control is installed.  If the file is referenced, but the service isn't present this will lead to the issue.  Right clicking on the appropriate .inf file for sdcfilter and choosing install would add the service back so that might explain why the suggested fix works.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Jak

• Same problem here. Just clean installed latest downloadable Windows 10 Insider Preview build (14373 if I recall correctly) (after which I did have at some point the DVD-drive working without a problem). Installed Endpoint software from Sophos UTM and after that upgraded to latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build (14393). At this point I discovered the DVD-drive missing and with exclamation mark in device manager. I'm not sure if just before this latest upgrade the DVD-drive was present as this was not something I was then looking for.

Turned out the sdcfilter service was not present. So I installed the sdcfilter.inf from the location mentioned above and restarted. Then my DVD-drive was functional again. So this is a confirmation that I needed to manually (re)install sdcfilter service.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Same problem here. Just clean installed latest downloadable Windows 10 Insider Preview build (14373 if I recall correctly) (after which I did have at some point the DVD-drive working without a problem). Installed Endpoint software from Sophos UTM and after that upgraded to latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build (14393). At this point I discovered the DVD-drive missing and with exclamation mark in device manager. I'm not sure if just before this latest upgrade the DVD-drive was present as this was not something I was then looking for.

Turned out the sdcfilter service was not present. So I installed the sdcfilter.inf from the location mentioned above and restarted. Then my DVD-drive was functional again. So this is a confirmation that I needed to manually (re)install sdcfilter service.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
  • Interesting...  I've been looking through some logs related to the upgrade.  Do you see something similar in the file: \windows\inf\setupapi.upgrade.log:

It seems that the sdcfilter service was not migrated by Windows.  The same goes for the GearAspiWDM service which I believe belongs to or is part of the iTunes install.

I don't recall being warned following the upgrade that the "migration" wasn't 100% successful.  That said, given the exit code seems to be 0x00000000, that would suggest success?

Regards,

Jak