This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Renaming a PC

Hi,

I've got Sophos Endpoint installed on my Windows 10 PCs, but I want to rename some of them.

Does that impact the Sophos client?

I don't need to do anything like uninstall Sophos, then rename, and then reinstall?

If I just rename, will SEC correctly show the new name? Nothing weird with certificates that need to be done?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • You should be able to rename it without issue. For SEC managed communication RMS is the component at play. When the computer first registers gets certs etc it does get a RMSAddress which is based on the machine name at the time but it’s just a unique string really. So you may see in the logs reference to the old machine name in this internally used string but as the RMS address will not change when you rename the computer, SEC shouldn’t create a new record back on SEC, just update the machine name of the existing record. Regards, Jak

• You should be able to rename it without issue. For SEC managed communication RMS is the component at play. When the computer first registers gets certs etc it does get a RMSAddress which is based on the machine name at the time but it’s just a unique string really. So you may see in the logs reference to the old machine name in this internally used string but as the RMS address will not change when you rename the computer, SEC shouldn’t create a new record back on SEC, just update the machine name of the existing record. Regards, Jak

Children
No Data