This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

internal dns server

Hello , 

i want configure my own web and mail server @home and i had some hurdle with domain providers dns and thats why i am configure bind server 

I have setup a internal dns server using bind9 on ubuntu 14.04.2 ,but i have some problem 
when i add networks in allowd network i am able to browse internet proplerly on wifi (usig AP10) very much fine BUT on page it says >>> If you already run an internal DNS server (for example as part of Active Directory), you should leave this setting empty.

but 1 more thing when i dont use this network (when it is blank) i am able to send and recive whatsapp messages (just text message )

So i should add (intenal ,dmz ,ssid network ,wifi to ) in global 

IN dns forwarders i have added host o which i have installed dns server 
In request routing i have added zone (btw way which zone i should add forward or/add reverse )tested with reverse proxy

i have add reverse zone for dmz /on same system i browse 

what kind of pf rules i should add ? 

and i am getting 2015:04:13-21:17:40 utm named[4117]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving '106.89.19.182.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 182.19.95.67#53  this messages also

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

You should decide whether you want the UTM to do resolution to the internet, or you want your internal server to.

If the internal server is to resolve, you need to allow port 53 TCP/UDP outbound.

Also see
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/53/t/32566

Barry
  • Hello Barry,

Thanks, i want my internal dns server to resolve the dns ,i that case what should be configuration , 
    if i have A record for www and mail are confiure locally/internsl dns server then still do i have to add any record with domain provider's domain control portal ?
    same with mx record 

please check image of request routed ,can you please tell me do i have to add both zone ?
    ok i have to add just reverse zone ?

i follow the link but still confused 

when i run  # dig @mypublicip  mydomain any

; <>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R7-P4 <>> @mypublicip  mydomain  any
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R7-P4 <>> @mypublicip mydomain any
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R7-P4 <>> @mypublicip mydomainin any
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADERhttps://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/54/t/42103

i am trying delegate my server

thanks
  • Hi, you mistyped 'arpa' in your first request route.

Barry
  • Thanks ,

you mean from image right ?

but still i am facing same problem
    do i reaily require forware zone ?

edit [:$]ther problem with i am getting 2015:04:13-21:17:40 utm named[4117]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving '106.89.19.182.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 182.19.95.67#53 this messages also  

is seems to their problem  but i am not going to this site anyway they are small in error so i can ignore 
    dig -x 182.19.89.106 @182.19.95.67

; <>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.2-Ubuntu <>> -x 182.19.89.106 @182.19.95.67
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER
  • Hello , 

I have setup a dns server and it seems its working (check with dig the domain and time ) 

Now ,can some one please tell me what changes i have to make in my utm or in linux so i can host web and mail server .

i have rdns configure with isp ,dig -x 1.2x.231.1xx
     1xx.231.2x.1.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR mail.nydomain (ip in reverse order )

configure 1 forward (for domain) zone and 3 revrse zone (for dmz ,utm ,publiip)
    what changes i should make in web server configuration in utm and on linux system 

ubserver (see img )is my guest/dmz where i have installed dns/web/mail server 

my present configuration is look like this (pls check img)

please help this is my 1st dns server setup 

dig @1.2.3.4 (mypublic ip) mydomain any 

; <>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.2-Ubuntu <>> @1.2.3.4 (mypublic ip) mydomain any
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER
  • hm.. really sure you need to run your own dns-server which is reachable from internet at your home?

my suggestions:

- just put 2 dns-records at your domain
    www.yourdomain.com YOUR.STATIC.IP.FROMPROVIDER
    mail.yourdomain.com YOUR.STATIC.IP.FROMPROVIDER

and for mail.yourdomain.com make sure you also register the reverse record. 

in UTM two DNAT-Rules, one for SMTP-Traffic natted internally to your mailserver
    other for web natting http and https to your webserver.

thats the easiest way to get this running what i understand you want.. but its an very unsecure way cause of simple natting. 

finetuning to secure this a bit is then:
    - using smtp-proxy in utm to scan your mails
    - using webserver protection to protect your internal web server

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...