This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to change APN settings on iPhone X and iPad Air 2?

Hi :)

I wanted to change the APN on two iOS devices (iPhone X and iPad Air 2), so I created a new profile for Apple iOS with the correct APN settings. I tested with an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.2 and it worked fine, even after an update to iOS 11.2.1. But when I tried to install the profile on the iPhone X (iOS 11.2.1) or the iPad Air 2 (iOS 11.2.5)  Sophos Mobile Control said it was installed successfully, but the APN settings had not changed at all. There was no way I got the desired APN settings on the iPhone X or the iPad Airt 2 and I have no clue why it works on the iPhone 6 but not on the other devices.

What is the problem, what can I do? How do I get the APN-settings on the iPhone X and the iPad Air 2? Please help me.

With kind regards,
Andreas.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Andreas Siebert said:

Hi :)

I wanted to change the APN on two iOS devices (iPhone X and iPad Air 2), so I created a new profile for Apple iOS with the correct APN settings. I tested with an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.2 and it worked fine, even after an update to iOS 11.2.1. But when I tried to install the profile on the iPhone X (iOS 11.2.1) or the iPad Air 2 (iOS 11.2.5)  Sophos Mobile Control said it was installed successfully, but the APN settings had not changed at all. There was no way I got the desired APN settings on the iPhone X or the iPad Airt 2 and I have no clue why it works on the iPhone 6 but not on the other devices.

What is the problem, what can I do? How do I get the APN-settings on the iPhone X and the iPad Air 2? Please help me.

With kind regards,
    Andreas.

Andreas,

Have you tried Apple's instructions?   View and edit your Access Point Name (APN) on your iPhone and iPad?

You may have to Contact your carrier to verify the correct APN settings for your devices.  Some devices must be unlocked before the APN settings can be accessed or changed.

• Thanks for your answer. And sorry I posted just the short version here: The reason I tried to edit the APN Settings via Sophos Mobile Control and not directly on the devices is, that I found no way to enter the required proxy-server-settings for the mobile data connection directly in the devices. But I can do this via Sophos Mobile Control, so I tried it this way. Or is there a way to enter a proxy-server-configuration directly in the mobile data/ APN settings? That would be fine as well.

Additional Info: I tried to enroll the APN settings via profiles using the APN-configuration as well as profiles trying to configure the Cellular configuration. In both cases Sophos tells me the profiles were successfully installed, but nothing happened, the APN settings were unchanged.

With kind regards, Andreas Siebert.

• Andreas Siebert said:

Thanks for your answer. And sorry I posted just the short version here: The reason I tried to edit the APN Settings via Sophos Mobile Control and not directly on the devices is, that I found no way to enter the required proxy-server-settings for the mobile data connection directly in the devices. But I can do this via Sophos Mobile Control, so I tried it this way. Or is there a way to enter a proxy-server-configuration directly in the mobile data/ APN settings? That would be fine as well.

Additional Info: I tried to enroll the APN settings via profiles using the APN-configuration as well as profiles trying to configure the Cellular configuration. In both cases Sophos tells me the profiles were successfully installed, but nothing happened, the APN settings were unchanged.

That's because the APN settings in your phone are locked.  Again, you must Contact your carrier to find out how to change the APN settings for your devices.

• Although I don't know the real reason why you can't get the APN settings you need on iPhone X or iPad Airt 2 and whether other iPad models don't work. But as far as I know, you seem to need to contact your carrier to verify the correct APN settings.