This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cause with protecting clients in SEC

Hello,

i have a cause with protecting clients in our network. The employees work from home and are connected via VPN.

In the enterprise console i click at protect, but nothing happens.

How i can protect these laptops ?

Primary Server is my Server and secondary is Sophos.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Marvin Harms,

Protect requires that the management server can "find" the computer - i.e. it must be able to resolve the names (that you have probably imported by some means) with Windows networking or DNS. Nothing would be strange, something should happen - at least you should get an error message.

Who has administrative rights on these laptops? It might be simpler to install with a package.

Christian

• Hello Christian,

thanks for your fast reply. I imported the clients from the Active Directory.

The error ist 0000002E (or more "0" :D )

I think all has administrative rights, we are all external consultants and work from home or in projects.

I tried it with the standalone installer. The client is protected but not shown as protected in die Enterprise console.

Marvin

• Hello Marvin,

0x0000002e is the installation could not be started. Various causes but in your case likely that the computer couldn't be found.

The standalone version is just that - standalone, in other words: unmanaged. It's rather easy though to create a managed package using the Deployment Packager.

Christian

• Hello Christian,

with this way i protect the client and see the client as protected and managed in my SEC ?

I tried it in the morning, but i think not right.

I will try it and give you a feedback.

Marvin

• Hello Marvin,

you have to select the RMS component, this is the thingy responsible for management - otherwise it's in principle a SA install. It should work (we're mostly using packages).

Christian

• Hello Christian,

i deployed my SophosEndpoint.exe to my Laptop and installed it. After installation there is no connection to the Enterprise Console. My Server crendentials are in the Sophos AutoUpdate.

I think there is an other cause,too... Can´t reach my server over UNC path and can´t ping the server from client and the client from the server.

Marvin

• Hello Marvin,

can´t ping
    at least the endpoint must be able to resolve the server's name (NetBIOS or FQDN) and reach the SMB ports or, if updating via HTTP, port 80, and for communication ports 8192 and 8194. ICMP (ping) isn't necessary. Protect from the console has additional requirements but this comes second.

Do you ping with the name or IP and what is the error?

Christian

• Hello Christian,

i ping with the IP and with the name.

Made GPO like the Sophos Support on the Domain Server.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZJxvadoT0

Unfortunately, I do not know how to continue with my error.

Do I understand this in the right way if i can not reach the server about the UNC path and can´t ping, the installation / protection can not start?

Marvin

• Hello Marvin,

of course the endpoint must be able to reach the server - how else could it download and update the software (or report its status).
    The screenshot suggests that the route to 192.168.xxx.xxx is broken - it gets as far as the 62.x.x.x and then gets the Zielhost nicht erreichbar. It's a network problem, not a problem with your installation.

Christian

• Hello Christian,

I have come further with my problems.. If i click protect, theyellow arrow is there.

Now i have two other errors.

Error fffffffd computer not managed

and

80070002 The installation could not be started

Have seen the articles, but it doesnt help, or I can not get on with it.

Here is a screenshot from the alc.log (c:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\logs\alc.log)

Marvin