Forum admins...do you know vb 3.8.6 is now end of life and is a security threat?

It's time to move on..update to a newer version AND fix app access and android access.
  • I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

Have the forum admin check the log or the DB and see how much moderator activity there is:
    deleting spam and banning spammers
    other mod activity

Sometimes, the spam is quite bad and the moderators delete it quickly.

Barry
  • Vilic, I like the idea of not having separate language forums, but I would prefer to see more people posting using any of the languages supported in WebAdmin.

Why don't we allow everyone to post in a language they feel comfortable in, and then adding their best English translation or the result of Google Translate.  I occasionally post in the German Forum, but 80% of the time, I can't get my German-thinking brain to work, so I post in English.  Although I can't speak Italian, I can read it well enough that I have responded in English in that forum.  I bet there are a lot of people with similar abilities here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Vilic, I like the idea of not having separate language forums....

I'd agree with that.

Why don't we allow everyone to post in a language they feel comfortable in, and then adding their best English translation or the result of Google Translate

Is there a rule that disallows localized content to be in any board?

As an example take this post:  https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/68/t/62884

If it was actually posted (still in German) to this board... 

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/58

...wouldn't that mean the question and answer (be it German or not) is best placed to receive an answer?  Shouldn't we encourage posting to the correct board dependent on the product area/component/technology involved, no matter the language?  Rather than 'dump' all questions on a particular language into one place?

I'm working to get the hierarchy of the new boards on the new system correct.  If we can agree to adopt this moving forwards I'd like it.  I'd offer the question to the mods and the German language speakers though.

The site admin has recommended that the Italian board isn't to be migrated over.  However I'm open to 'migrate both boards and lock them down to read only (available for a search but no new content).  Don't exclude localized content from the main boards'.

It's one for the community - their your boards. [:)]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thanks for all the replies - keep them coming.  I hope this post is reaching all the right users - I hope this thread has enough visibly on the forum, being on this board.

I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

I'm certain I don't qualify as one of the "right users". I have been EXTREMELY critical starting out with my very first post. What I can tell you as a brand new customer is it was solely these mods' knowledge and helpfulness, coupled with being allowed to express my criticism, that converted me from a disgruntled evaluator to a slightly less disgruntled customer.

I would not have purchased my units if it were not for these non employee mods and their allowed transparency of my comments. I am certain if you convert this board to employee mods only, you will lose the community aspect of it.

I found this board so refreshing in the fact that no one attempted to censor my frustrations with poor Sophos support, that I decided to go ahead and purchase units. Had this been a typical corporate board I would have just boxed up my eval unit, sent it back, and been on my way.

Lose these guys & gals and you'll have lost the best and brightest team you've got.

“Stay paranoid, my friends.”

• I would think that a user who is only fluent in one language would prefer to be able to browse (search works differently) posts in that language only.

For example, I have little interest in seeing German posts as I cannot read German at all.

In fact, I would like the ability to filter out which topics will appear when I do a 'New Posts' search, so that I can skip the German posts for example.
    (VBulletin has that capability but it is not implemented here)

Barry
  • Barry, my suggestion is that every thread would be in English with some posts including the native language of the poster as well as the English translation.  I would prefer that to posts today that include only the output of Google translate.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Definitely agree on the independent mods point. Since they have no financial interest per se, they don't come across as pushy or "my way or the highway" type of mentality. I also think that independent mods bring the open source spirit to this forum. Only other experience I have with BBS is with PfSense and you can look at their licensing discussion forum and understand the importance of an impartial moderator.

I agree with these points:

1. All posts since v8 have to be carried forward but as Bob suggested, the underlying functionality since v6 has been pretty similar.

2. I have to agree with Barry that although multiple language postings should be encouraged, in the eight or so years that I have been visiting this site, I have only browsed those sections once or twice. I think relevant topics can be encouraged in any language and multiple language sections only add to the clutter.

3. I think this forum should be made read only and be used as a knowledge base at least for a few years. I understand that sophos may be getting away from astaro label altogether, but I do keyword searches all the time and find that I get more relevant results much faster by using a search engine and keyword astaro.

4. Finally the mods... Once again, I cannot reiterate the importance of this point. Sophos may have the illusion that because its a security company that it should only use sophos employees monitoring these forums. This would be a major step in the wrong direction. The mods that we have right now are professional and more helpful than any support call that I have made during my years in the industry. I hardly ever see any spam on this board and every post is answered within a reasonable time by the mods or by someone who is using the product. 

Its this inclusive environment created by the mods that encourages end users to help each other through problems that they may have faced in their environments. Look at the total number of posts by the independent mods on this forum and then show me any other forum that rivals this amount of cooperation and assistance offered here at no charge. No amount of training can bring that to the table and I hope that sophos doesn't kill that spirit moving forward.

Regards
    Bill
  • Barry, my suggestion is that every thread would be in English with some posts including the native language of the poster as well as the English translation.  I would prefer that to posts today that include only the output of Google translate.

That would be OK with me, but it might alienate some non-English readers/posters.

Barry
  • Hi All
    In regards to the non-English area. I also have not looked at the German section.
    Most of the developers are German, that is about all I know.
    Can statistics be gathered to see how active the German section has been since V9.2?
    Also is it known what sort of "User" these people are. Are these mainly "Resellers", "End Users" or whatever?
    I do like the idea of integration into one, but I can see problems for different language speakers if all bundled into one.
    Mark
  • I, too, realize that things are changing at Sophos, and that the old guard from Astaro has moved on.  However, in my lifetime in computers, I have only encountered one other forum that has been as valuable, in so many ways, as these Sophos (formerly Astaro) UTM forums.

1. It would be good to have new and better forum software, better search capabilities, etc.

2. The current moderators do an outstanding job.  They should be lauded, supported, rewarded, and encouraged to continue.  They are, by far, the most valuable resource these forums have.  Don't screw this up!

3. The amount of knowledge contained in these forums about the practical and everyday use of the UTM line is unparalleled.

4. I wholeheartedly agree with those who suggest moving several years worth of data to the new forums.