Forum admins...do you know vb 3.8.6 is now end of life and is a security threat?

It's time to move on..update to a newer version AND fix app access and android access.
  • Hi William,

Can I take your post as an opportunity to say that we are planning on moving away from vBulletin and associated app.

Sophos currently maintains four communities (three discussion forums and an external feature request system for UTM and Mobile features).  Though they have been run as separate forums for a while it obviously makes sense to bring everyone together and allow all members - from the different product backgrounds - to interact seamlessly with one another, as well as find information in our knowledgebase.  To allow this to happen we are getting very close to merging all three discussion forums into one place.  We recognize there is a goldmine of information in the posts contained in each forum and our community members have a wealth of experience - which we want to keep.

There will be one social-centric community for the discussion of all Sophos' hardware and software products.  The community pages will be mobile-optimized so it's responsive to smartphone and tablet devices.

If you (anyone) has any questions please feel free to reply.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Glad to hear that Sophos is working on a big move. Do you have any ETA?
  • Glad to hear that Sophos is working on a big move. Do you have any ETA?

Thanks for the question.  It's expected Q1 next year.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Ruckus, Is any thought being given to how to carry forward the combined knowledge here in these forums?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ruckus, Is any thought being given to how to carry forward the combined knowledge here in these forums?

Cheers - Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.  In what combined way do you mean?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• I can imagine several strategies.  One might be leaving this BB up for a year or two with all forums closed.  That would allow us to populate the new site with posts like Astaro useful shell commandsRulzDNS Best PracticeTweaking Guide 2.0, etc.

There are many other good answers that aren't stuck, but many of the gems like these have been made sticky, so you could begin by copying those over.  Since these are living documents, and the new Sophos KnowledgeBase is not a wiki as was the Astaro KB, we resist transforming these to KB articles.

There are other strategies, but "standardization" should not lead to bastardization. [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

I am assuming all content (all threads and posts) will be copied over to the new site.

If not, I agree with Bob that the old forum should stay online in read-only mode, indefinitely.

Barry
  • BarryG is correct.  The intention is to migrate all off the existing posts with the following caveats:

We may not migrate old content.  Is there a safe cut off date?  For example if we only migrated a maximum of X years (say three) would that cause problems?

We may not migrate old and inactive user accounts.  If you haven't logged in in a year or so you may need to re-register.

We plan NOT to migrate any of the following boards and the posts within:
      • Mail Archiving (AMA)

Italian Forum

ASG V8 Betas

ASG V7 Betas

ACC Betas

Other Product Betas

About the Board

Please feel free to provide your opinions - say now or forever...regret it! [;)]

If there are any killer features you just love on vBulletin pls list them.  I can't guarantee the equivalent is available on the new platform but we are developing it now so if I hear of something specific I can raise it during this phase.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Oh and to add: Once we migrate the data we would, at most, only run Astaro.org for a very short period of time and then take it offline.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Re old content...
    I'd prefer old content be copied, but if you insist:

1. I hope you'd be going off the last post date in the thread, not the date the thread was opened. e.g. my Unofficial HCL thread is from 2009, but is frequently updated.

2. I'd prefer to AT LEAST include everything from the beginning of 8.x (June 2010)

vBulletin features:
    Search new posts only (https://www.astaro.org/search.php?do=getnew)
    Private messages
    moderation features

Barry