Forum admins...do you know vb 3.8.6 is now end of life and is a security threat?

It's time to move on..update to a newer version AND fix app access and android access.
  • Re old content...
    moderation features

Can you expand so I'm clear on the features required?  Having moderated other forums, but not this forum, they may be different.

On our other forums we have always reserved moderation to Sophos staff only.  Hence I'd like to know more about moderation here.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hence I'd like to know more about moderation here
    Here, there are no active moderators that are Sophos employees.  I'm a former Astaro/Sophos employee, but was a mod way before then.  The rest of the mods are either resellers or end-users who met the sole criteria of assisting others long term on a regular basis.  There haven't been any new mods added from the community in a few years, as the ones who picked them, the founders of Astaro, are long gone.

We may not migrate old content. Is there a safe cut off date? For example if we only migrated a maximum of X years (say three) would that cause problems?
    Three to four years would be good.

We may not migrate old and inactive user accounts. If you haven't logged in in a year or so you may need to re-register.
    That works.  The user database needs a good purging.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I don't know if you're planning on keeping non-staff moderators such as myself, but currently:

1. any user can Report a post; the report gets emailed to all moderators

2. moderators can:
    a. delete posts
    b. ban users (temporarily or permanently, but temp seems pointless for spammers)
          bans can be by IP and by username.
    c. move posts (to new or existing threads)
    d. move threads to different topics
    e. make threads sticky
    f. rename threads
    g. edit posts (e.g. remove obscenity (rare) or bad links, or fix broken URLs)

Also, there is a private Moderator forum where we discuss things like spammers here.

Barry
  • We may not migrate old and inactive user accounts.

What would happen to their posts?

Barry
  • BTW, one thing that could be improved upon...
    This forum censors many words, including ones that are germane to UTM discussion (Web & Spam Filtering, etc.) such as 
    p o r n o g r a p h y
    p o r n

Also, please make sure all posted images are copied.

Barry
  • Thanks for all the replies - keep them coming.  I hope this post is reaching all the right users - I hope this thread has enough visibly on the forum, being on this board.

I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

Threads migrated from X years (last post) but with users early on in the thread and now deemed inactive might be an edge case - that's the only way we could end up with userless posts AFAIK.  I'll certainly note this...and ensure that the content migration is not affected by limiting users.

In terms of getting the spam filters right: I hope the mods can work (bully) the admins to get the balance correct.  May not be right out of the box (too weak or too strong) but the admins can adjust as required.  I'd like to see the discussions in the mods-only board on the problems with spam - but I'm not a mod [:(].  Oh well.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Here, there are no active moderators that are Sophos employees.  I'm a former Astaro/Sophos employee, but was a mod way before then.  The rest of the mods are either resellers or end-users who met the sole criteria of assisting others long term on a regular basis.  There haven't been any new mods added from the community in a few years, as the ones who picked them, the founders of Astaro, are long gone.

Uhm, no. There are many active mods from Sophos Network Security Group (NSG business unit, the former Astaro within Sophos), also some of them have been added in the past few years. For example tinkerbell and the previous Beta forum mod. Or myself, I was added a few months after I joined Astaro (even though I quit beginning last month). And there are many other examples.

But there never was an 'official rule' for employees to monitor or post to the forum (except for Betas). IMO that's part of the problem, Sophos NSG has: Lots of issues that were posted here but not picked up and fixed. [:(]
  • Mark, I know that all of us are very glad that you're on the job and that Sophos wants to improve what's here.  Please consider our comments in that light, even if some may seem critical...
    •We may not migrate old content. Is there a safe cut off date? For example if we only migrated a maximum of X years (say three) would that cause problems?
    •We may not migrate old and inactive user accounts. If you haven't logged in in a year or so you may need to re-register.

As BarryG has mentioned, some of the threads started prior to V8 continue to be updated.  Since most of the underlying modules are much the same as in V6, there are useful posts as far back as 2006, but I think if you brought over all threads that have a new or modified post since 31 Dec 2008, you would get 99% of the value (I'm thinking of DNS Best Practice as a example of one of mine).
    • This would mean moving over all users that have posts in these "active" threads as well as all those that have logged in after 31 Dec 2013.

The only other BB in which I participate is WordReference.com, also a vBulletin site, so I can't judge whether the tool used by Sophos for its other BBs might not have something I find valuable with vBulletin, or offer something it does not.

If I were Sophos, I think I'd be more worried about improving the KB than moving this BB.  One of the weaknesses of the Sophos KnowledgeBase is that articles change and are added with no opportunity for us to know about them - how about subscriptions to updates in our areas of interest? - UPDATE:Check out  the Sophos Knowledgebase Articles feed.  The search interface is also very unsatisfying - you can't find an article unless you've seen it before and already know what keywords to use to find it - that or waste time digging through an endless list of possible matches to find what you want.  There are a lot of great articles in there, but they are, largely, accessible only to those that have been sent a link.  Incorrect information often isn't changed quickly, and I've never gotten a response to any comment I've made there.  The article on Poodle remediation still retains the error that caused the 9.209 update to hose the POP3SSL and SMTP STARTSSL capabilities - and that seems to have caused the 9.210 Up2Date to carry the same bug forward.

BarryG's comments about what we mods do here means that the basics get taken care of virtually immediately around the clock.  Spammers don't bother with us because their posts rarely last over 10 minutes.  Some get banned/blocked before they can get a second post up.  The ability to modify others' posts means we can enforce standards and do small things like help a newbie by replacing the "@" in a posted email address with "(at)".

Trollvottel points out that there have been issues discussed here that were not picked up by Sophos.  BarryG mentioned that we have a separate mods forum.  A separate "Issues" forum with one thread for each major area of WebAdmin and reserved to the mods, would allow us to quickly add a post with a link to an issue we felt should be addressed.

Again, welcome to the fray! [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi All
    A couple of thoughts come quickly to mind.
    1. Yes there is a wealth of information that has been added to these forums. I believe that this information is a good selling point for Sophos. Personally I would hate to see this information not being able to be in an easy search able method.
    2. With Sophos taking on board Cyberoam and the continued support for the next expected 4 years is it worth considering bringing in this information?
    3. With Copernicus coming onboard in the next 6 months, I believe that this should be considered as well.
    4. Where is Sophos buy in on this project? If these "Forums are run by "Volunteers" what are Sophos guidelines?
    5. It would be good if "Those" more active in testing could have more points for the "Feature Board", as I feel this is a bit limiting when you want to add more "features" but have no points and can have only a limited number of entries.
    6. My thoughts would be to keep old site up RO for at least one year and transfer most data from say V8.

Mark's thoughts out loud
  • Hi to all...

Don't take me wrong, but in this future new forum I don't see the point of separate German language section.
    From time to time, I see some great questions and answers there but cannot understand nothing, (Google translator is still not very intelligent when translating IT related terms..[:)])

I've joined this forum recently and from the first day I had impression that we are 2 separated user groups talking about same topics and problems.