Forum admins...do you know vb 3.8.6 is now end of life and is a security threat?

It's time to move on..update to a newer version AND fix app access and android access.
Parents
  • Thanks for all the replies - keep them coming.  I hope this post is reaching all the right users - I hope this thread has enough visibly on the forum, being on this board.

I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

Threads migrated from X years (last post) but with users early on in the thread and now deemed inactive might be an edge case - that's the only way we could end up with userless posts AFAIK.  I'll certainly note this...and ensure that the content migration is not affected by limiting users.

In terms of getting the spam filters right: I hope the mods can work (bully) the admins to get the balance correct.  May not be right out of the box (too weak or too strong) but the admins can adjust as required.  I'd like to see the discussions in the mods-only board on the problems with spam - but I'm not a mod [:(].  Oh well.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thanks for all the replies - keep them coming.  I hope this post is reaching all the right users - I hope this thread has enough visibly on the forum, being on this board.

I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

Threads migrated from X years (last post) but with users early on in the thread and now deemed inactive might be an edge case - that's the only way we could end up with userless posts AFAIK.  I'll certainly note this...and ensure that the content migration is not affected by limiting users.

In terms of getting the spam filters right: I hope the mods can work (bully) the admins to get the balance correct.  May not be right out of the box (too weak or too strong) but the admins can adjust as required.  I'd like to see the discussions in the mods-only board on the problems with spam - but I'm not a mod [:(].  Oh well.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Children
  • I'd would like to see the current and active moderators continue.  However (the "but") I may get asks "why external mods?" (we are a company with "security" at its core after all) and I want all the ammo I can get to defend the idea.

Have the forum admin check the log or the DB and see how much moderator activity there is:
    deleting spam and banning spammers
    other mod activity

Sometimes, the spam is quite bad and the moderators delete it quickly.

Barry

I'm certain I don't qualify as one of the "right users". I have been EXTREMELY critical starting out with my very first post. What I can tell you as a brand new customer is it was solely these mods' knowledge and helpfulness, coupled with being allowed to express my criticism, that converted me from a disgruntled evaluator to a slightly less disgruntled customer.

I would not have purchased my units if it were not for these non employee mods and their allowed transparency of my comments. I am certain if you convert this board to employee mods only, you will lose the community aspect of it.

I found this board so refreshing in the fact that no one attempted to censor my frustrations with poor Sophos support, that I decided to go ahead and purchase units. Had this been a typical corporate board I would have just boxed up my eval unit, sent it back, and been on my way.

Lose these guys & gals and you'll have lost the best and brightest team you've got.

“Stay paranoid, my friends.”