Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Forum admins...do you know vb 3.8.6 is now end of life and is a security threat?

It's time to move on..update to a newer version AND fix app access and android access.
Parents
  • Barry, my suggestion is that every thread would be in English with some posts including the native language of the poster as well as the English translation.  I would prefer that to posts today that include only the output of Google translate.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Definitely agree on the independent mods point. Since they have no financial interest per se, they don't come across as pushy or "my way or the highway" type of mentality. I also think that independent mods bring the open source spirit to this forum. Only other experience I have with BBS is with PfSense and you can look at their licensing discussion forum and understand the importance of an impartial moderator.

I agree with these points:

1. All posts since v8 have to be carried forward but as Bob suggested, the underlying functionality since v6 has been pretty similar.

2. I have to agree with Barry that although multiple language postings should be encouraged, in the eight or so years that I have been visiting this site, I have only browsed those sections once or twice. I think relevant topics can be encouraged in any language and multiple language sections only add to the clutter.

3. I think this forum should be made read only and be used as a knowledge base at least for a few years. I understand that sophos may be getting away from astaro label altogether, but I do keyword searches all the time and find that I get more relevant results much faster by using a search engine and keyword astaro.

4. Finally the mods... Once again, I cannot reiterate the importance of this point. Sophos may have the illusion that because its a security company that it should only use sophos employees monitoring these forums. This would be a major step in the wrong direction. The mods that we have right now are professional and more helpful than any support call that I have made during my years in the industry. I hardly ever see any spam on this board and every post is answered within a reasonable time by the mods or by someone who is using the product. 

Its this inclusive environment created by the mods that encourages end users to help each other through problems that they may have faced in their environments. Look at the total number of posts by the independent mods on this forum and then show me any other forum that rivals this amount of cooperation and assistance offered here at no charge. No amount of training can bring that to the table and I hope that sophos doesn't kill that spirit moving forward.

Regards
    Bill
  • Definitely agree on the independent mods point. Since they have no financial interest per se, they don't come across as pushy or "my way or the highway" type of mentality. I also think that independent mods bring the open source spirit to this forum. Only other experience I have with BBS is with PfSense and you can look at their licensing discussion forum and understand the importance of an impartial moderator.

I agree with these points:

1. All posts since v8 have to be carried forward but as Bob suggested, the underlying functionality since v6 has been pretty similar.

2. I have to agree with Barry that although multiple language postings should be encouraged, in the eight or so years that I have been visiting this site, I have only browsed those sections once or twice. I think relevant topics can be encouraged in any language and multiple language sections only add to the clutter.

3. I think this forum should be made read only and be used as a knowledge base at least for a few years. I understand that sophos may be getting away from astaro label altogether, but I do keyword searches all the time and find that I get more relevant results much faster by using a search engine and keyword astaro.

4. Finally the mods... Once again, I cannot reiterate the importance of this point. Sophos may have the illusion that because its a security company that it should only use sophos employees monitoring these forums. This would be a major step in the wrong direction. The mods that we have right now are professional and more helpful than any support call that I have made during my years in the industry. I hardly ever see any spam on this board and every post is answered within a reasonable time by the mods or by someone who is using the product. 

Its this inclusive environment created by the mods that encourages end users to help each other through problems that they may have faced in their environments. Look at the total number of posts by the independent mods on this forum and then show me any other forum that rivals this amount of cooperation and assistance offered here at no charge. No amount of training can bring that to the table and I hope that sophos doesn't kill that spirit moving forward.

Regards
    Bill
Children
No Data