This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPSEC: Strict Routing

Hello all,

I have a question about IPSEC Strict Routing. Does strict routing affect the speed of ipsec? I have an IPsec tunnel with strict routing active and the connection between the two sites is very slow. I have another tunnel without strict routing, this one is a lot faster, there are otherwise no further differences in the configurations. Has anyone ever had such an experience? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello  ,

In strict source routing, the manager specifies the path through all routers to reach the destination, while in loose source routing, a manager specifies an address that the packet must pass through on its way to the destination; loose source routing is what an attacker uses to steal data.

A VPN connection's speed is determined by the strength of the encryption, and 256-bit encryption is often slower than 128-bit encryption, which results in a faster VPN connection. Nevertheless, you should be aware that reducing the encryption strength could lead to increased vulnerability and make the VPN connection less secure.

The speed of a server is also determined by the least speed, so if a server has 100 mbps capacity, and the client only has 10 mbps capacity, then the speed will not exceed 10 mbps.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Jagad | Team Lead, Global Support & Services 

Log a Support Case | Sophos Service Guide
    Best Practices – Support Case

Sophos Community | Product Documentation | Sophos Techvids | SMS
    If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.