Sphos UTM Firewall Essential license not licensing anything

Hello,

We wanted to use a "Firewall Essential" edition of UTM for an internal segment and therefore requested a license.

unfortunately, it seems that the license issued is unusable: all it has is "basic functionalities" and "endpoint security". If I check the license in the license management tool on my.astaro.com, it has all functionalities disabled.

How can I get a correct license ?

Edit: apparently, this is not a bug but a feature so the "Essential firewall" edition doesn't even has the "essential" part included (updates). What a disappointment [:(]
  • Hi, you are correct.

If you are thinking of buying a more-featured license, you can install with no license and all features will work for 30 days.

Barry
  • Fulgan, did your reseller tell you that you could address your needs with the Essential license?

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses!  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello all,

Actually, we've been long time users of Astaro and we do have several commercial licenses. We also plan on continuing using these licenses and even extend them (and maybe buy more).

The point here is that we're rebuilding a whole DC infrastructure and we're in need for another firewalling system. When reading about the "Essential firewall" edition, we thought it was a perfect fit for this simpler deployment: It's an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us. Since it's Astaro, its's a known interface, we hoped it would be easy to keep that server up to date and merge it with our existing logging system. Looks like things won't be that simple, though.

I'm also questioning the "essential firewall" part since it's pretty hard to argue that, in this day and age, patching isn't anything but mandatory feature for a security device, even more so for something as complex as Astaro. Without an easy way to patch these machines, it pretty much disqualifies it for any use except perhaps in a lab.

As for our reseller, no, they didn't recommend it. In fact, we do not talk to our reseller for anything technical since I'm afraid none of the partner we talked to was of any real use for technical matter. They aren't bad, and in this case they could have warned us of the obvious shortcomings of that version, but for anything technical, 99% of the time going through them lust is a waste of time since they eventually say that they do not know or do not understand the question and will have to go to Astaro support. In the end, we took a platinum support contract so we could cut short the loop and get answers in a matter of days instead of weeks and, since them, we never ask them any question except "we want a license for this, send us a quote".

Anyway, thanks for your answers, we'll consider our options.
  • I know from your posts over the years that you are technically very competent and didn't use your reseller for tech support. 

In this case, I wonder how important automatic updates are, and it seems that Essential meets your other criteria. I have a client that needs Webserver Protection in transparent mode, so I plan to simulate that with an Essentials in front of and behind the UTM with WAF as only NAT is necessary for the Essential instances. 

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but the Essential Firewall License is "an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us."

Sure, updating the firmware is a manual process, but it's very easy to do.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product?  Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I think the Essential Firewall license is an excellent product for cost involved.

If you need more than a firewall, then, yes, you are going to need a license that includes those other features you require.  The good thing is, is that you can pick and choose the feature(s) you need, and for the term you need them...

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Hello,

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Regarding the features that we need or don't need, it's not really a problem with the essential edition: either it does what we want or it doesn't and we'll find a solution (get a paid license or use another software). Truth is pretty much all the features that I would have included in such a version can be argued for or against and so it's simply a marketing decision: I respect that.

But one thing, however, cannot (I thing) be argued against: software updates for a security product aren't negotiable. Either they are included in the package (for free or for a price) or the package is worthless. As such, the "essential firewall edition" is worthless. In fact, it's even dangerous to implement.

Personally, I'm sure we can deal with manual updates - in particular since we have several other licensed installation and therefore know when a new patch is released. I'm however very concerned about anyone using this edition in the conditions for which it seems to be deigned: a small shop wanting only a simple software firewall solution with few bells and whistle and with a simple management interface. That's a receipt for disaster.

Anyway, it seems that, in order to do things properly, we'll also need the ability to create DNS forwarding routes and that it not included with the EE so we'll probably get a licensed edition anyway.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product? Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I'm not expecting to give anything away but if they chose to offer a free version, I expect it to be at least usable in some real world scenario without putting the network it's supposed to protect at risk. The EE, without an automated update process, fails to qualify.
  • I think that's a great suggestion - to offer a subscription for UP2Date service for an Essential Firewall.  Since there's no anti-virus or Intrusion Prevention, there's no need for pattern updates.

Are you sure the DNS is limited in that way?  I thought all 'Network Services' were included.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks again for your answer.

I think that's a great suggestion - to offer a subscription for UP2Date service for an Essential Firewall. Since there's no anti-virus or Intrusion Prevention, there's no need for pattern updates.

I'm flabbergasted that it isn't part of the basic package. Again, what's the point of having an edge device as complex as Astaro that doesn't notify users of updates and doesn't provide an easy way to perform updates. No one would accept that for an anti-virus, even a free one, so in a software which only purpose's is to provide network security, that makes little sense.

Are you sure the DNS is limited in that way? I thought all 'Network Services' were included.

Yup: here is what's displayed on the DNS's "request routing" tab.

"Licensing Info - Request Routing is disabled as you do not have a subscription or your subscription is expired!"
  • Tanks, fulgan, I tried to find that in the docs but couldn't, and my laptop with VM capability is in for repairs. 

Can you resolve you issue with Steichen entries - or are they likewise hobbled?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA