Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Sphos UTM Firewall Essential license not licensing anything

Hello,

We wanted to use a "Firewall Essential" edition of UTM for an internal segment and therefore requested a license.

unfortunately, it seems that the license issued is unusable: all it has is "basic functionalities" and "endpoint security". If I check the license in the license management tool on my.astaro.com, it has all functionalities disabled.

How can I get a correct license ?

Edit: apparently, this is not a bug but a feature so the "Essential firewall" edition doesn't even has the "essential" part included (updates). What a disappointment [:(]
Parents
  • Hello,

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Regarding the features that we need or don't need, it's not really a problem with the essential edition: either it does what we want or it doesn't and we'll find a solution (get a paid license or use another software). Truth is pretty much all the features that I would have included in such a version can be argued for or against and so it's simply a marketing decision: I respect that.

But one thing, however, cannot (I thing) be argued against: software updates for a security product aren't negotiable. Either they are included in the package (for free or for a price) or the package is worthless. As such, the "essential firewall edition" is worthless. In fact, it's even dangerous to implement.

Personally, I'm sure we can deal with manual updates - in particular since we have several other licensed installation and therefore know when a new patch is released. I'm however very concerned about anyone using this edition in the conditions for which it seems to be deigned: a small shop wanting only a simple software firewall solution with few bells and whistle and with a simple management interface. That's a receipt for disaster.

Anyway, it seems that, in order to do things properly, we'll also need the ability to create DNS forwarding routes and that it not included with the EE so we'll probably get a licensed edition anyway.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product? Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I'm not expecting to give anything away but if they chose to offer a free version, I expect it to be at least usable in some real world scenario without putting the network it's supposed to protect at risk. The EE, without an automated update process, fails to qualify.
  • Hello,

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Regarding the features that we need or don't need, it's not really a problem with the essential edition: either it does what we want or it doesn't and we'll find a solution (get a paid license or use another software). Truth is pretty much all the features that I would have included in such a version can be argued for or against and so it's simply a marketing decision: I respect that.

But one thing, however, cannot (I thing) be argued against: software updates for a security product aren't negotiable. Either they are included in the package (for free or for a price) or the package is worthless. As such, the "essential firewall edition" is worthless. In fact, it's even dangerous to implement.

Personally, I'm sure we can deal with manual updates - in particular since we have several other licensed installation and therefore know when a new patch is released. I'm however very concerned about anyone using this edition in the conditions for which it seems to be deigned: a small shop wanting only a simple software firewall solution with few bells and whistle and with a simple management interface. That's a receipt for disaster.

Anyway, it seems that, in order to do things properly, we'll also need the ability to create DNS forwarding routes and that it not included with the EE so we'll probably get a licensed edition anyway.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product? Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I'm not expecting to give anything away but if they chose to offer a free version, I expect it to be at least usable in some real world scenario without putting the network it's supposed to protect at risk. The EE, without an automated update process, fails to qualify.
Children
No Data