Customers might be unable to connect with us via the Sophos Malaysia Support Hotline number. Our teams are actively working on a fix. In the interim, we request customers to use the backup hotline number - +65 3157 5922 (Singapore) or raise a support request at https://support.sophos.com/.

Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Sphos UTM Firewall Essential license not licensing anything

Hello,

We wanted to use a "Firewall Essential" edition of UTM for an internal segment and therefore requested a license.

unfortunately, it seems that the license issued is unusable: all it has is "basic functionalities" and "endpoint security". If I check the license in the license management tool on my.astaro.com, it has all functionalities disabled.

How can I get a correct license ?

Edit: apparently, this is not a bug but a feature so the "Essential firewall" edition doesn't even has the "essential" part included (updates). What a disappointment [:(]
Parents
  • Hello all,

Actually, we've been long time users of Astaro and we do have several commercial licenses. We also plan on continuing using these licenses and even extend them (and maybe buy more).

The point here is that we're rebuilding a whole DC infrastructure and we're in need for another firewalling system. When reading about the "Essential firewall" edition, we thought it was a perfect fit for this simpler deployment: It's an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us. Since it's Astaro, its's a known interface, we hoped it would be easy to keep that server up to date and merge it with our existing logging system. Looks like things won't be that simple, though.

I'm also questioning the "essential firewall" part since it's pretty hard to argue that, in this day and age, patching isn't anything but mandatory feature for a security device, even more so for something as complex as Astaro. Without an easy way to patch these machines, it pretty much disqualifies it for any use except perhaps in a lab.

As for our reseller, no, they didn't recommend it. In fact, we do not talk to our reseller for anything technical since I'm afraid none of the partner we talked to was of any real use for technical matter. They aren't bad, and in this case they could have warned us of the obvious shortcomings of that version, but for anything technical, 99% of the time going through them lust is a waste of time since they eventually say that they do not know or do not understand the question and will have to go to Astaro support. In the end, we took a platinum support contract so we could cut short the loop and get answers in a matter of days instead of weeks and, since them, we never ask them any question except "we want a license for this, send us a quote".

Anyway, thanks for your answers, we'll consider our options.
  • Hello all,

Actually, we've been long time users of Astaro and we do have several commercial licenses. We also plan on continuing using these licenses and even extend them (and maybe buy more).

The point here is that we're rebuilding a whole DC infrastructure and we're in need for another firewalling system. When reading about the "Essential firewall" edition, we thought it was a perfect fit for this simpler deployment: It's an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us. Since it's Astaro, its's a known interface, we hoped it would be easy to keep that server up to date and merge it with our existing logging system. Looks like things won't be that simple, though.

I'm also questioning the "essential firewall" part since it's pretty hard to argue that, in this day and age, patching isn't anything but mandatory feature for a security device, even more so for something as complex as Astaro. Without an easy way to patch these machines, it pretty much disqualifies it for any use except perhaps in a lab.

As for our reseller, no, they didn't recommend it. In fact, we do not talk to our reseller for anything technical since I'm afraid none of the partner we talked to was of any real use for technical matter. They aren't bad, and in this case they could have warned us of the obvious shortcomings of that version, but for anything technical, 99% of the time going through them lust is a waste of time since they eventually say that they do not know or do not understand the question and will have to go to Astaro support. In the end, we took a platinum support contract so we could cut short the loop and get answers in a matter of days instead of weeks and, since them, we never ask them any question except "we want a license for this, send us a quote".

Anyway, thanks for your answers, we'll consider our options.
Children
No Data