Sphos UTM Firewall Essential license not licensing anything

Hello,

We wanted to use a "Firewall Essential" edition of UTM for an internal segment and therefore requested a license.

unfortunately, it seems that the license issued is unusable: all it has is "basic functionalities" and "endpoint security". If I check the license in the license management tool on my.astaro.com, it has all functionalities disabled.

How can I get a correct license ?

Edit: apparently, this is not a bug but a feature so the "Essential firewall" edition doesn't even has the "essential" part included (updates). What a disappointment [:(]
Parents
  • I know from your posts over the years that you are technically very competent and didn't use your reseller for tech support. 

In this case, I wonder how important automatic updates are, and it seems that Essential meets your other criteria. I have a client that needs Webserver Protection in transparent mode, so I plan to simulate that with an Essentials in front of and behind the UTM with WAF as only NAT is necessary for the Essential instances. 

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses!  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but the Essential Firewall License is "an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us."

Sure, updating the firmware is a manual process, but it's very easy to do.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product?  Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I think the Essential Firewall license is an excellent product for cost involved.

If you need more than a firewall, then, yes, you are going to need a license that includes those other features you require.  The good thing is, is that you can pick and choose the feature(s) you need, and for the term you need them...

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but the Essential Firewall License is "an internal firewall where all we actually need is a software firewall that can handle IT level firewalling, logging and be easy to manage for us."

Sure, updating the firmware is a manual process, but it's very easy to do.

What else does it lack that you want to see in a free product?  Some of those features cost Sophos money (they use engines that they have to pay to use from 3rd parties -- not to mention the time for their development and management of all this) ... I can't really expect them to give that kind of thing away...

I think the Essential Firewall license is an excellent product for cost involved.

If you need more than a firewall, then, yes, you are going to need a license that includes those other features you require.  The good thing is, is that you can pick and choose the feature(s) you need, and for the term you need them...

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

Children
No Data