This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I block specific words in search engines

Hello,

i have to block specific words in search engines with the sophos utm. Especially words they are associated with ****ograhy. The most users are pupils. I have no idea how to block these specific words or letters like '***'. For example I can search with google for '***' and I can see the pictures. Nude and ****ography sites are blocked through the webfilter, but the content in google pictures search. Safe Search is also active for Google, Bing and Yahoo. How can i configure the webfilter to block the content? Thank your for your help in advance. If you have any questions please write down in this thread.

P.S. I hope you understand what I mean, because english is not my native language. [:)]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Unless you're doing SSL inspection, I think that won't have any effect since google uses https so there's no way of knowing what the search query was.
  • Please show a line from the Web Filtering log where Google Safe Search returned nude pictures.  I don't believe that Google Images will show anything beyond suggestive even without Safe Search activated.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • In addition -  if SafeSearch is being properly applied at Google and you still see some images (eg some slipped through the crack), that is a Google issue and not a UTM issue.  I believe you can flag as inappropriate.
  • Thank your for your ideas. I solved the problem with a gpo for Google Chrome. Google Chrome was the main problem. I configured in the gpo that Google Safe Search is always active. Google Chrome does not accept the configurations of the sophos utm with the activation of Safe Search.
  • I guess this is because the interaction between Chrome and a Google server is UDP 443.  If you're using Standard mode, what happens if you add that to 'Allowed target services' on the 'Misc' tab?  Like ICTO said, you'd have to be inspecting SSL traffic, but I don't know if the Proxy can handle SSL on port UDP 443.

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA