This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SD-RED 60 slow throughput

Hi all

Im a bit stumped on this one.

Customer has SG330 UTM (siteA), 1gb lease line so 1gb/1gb up and down. Doing speed tests and file downloads off the internet i get what I would expect 930mbps both up and down on the same local network to the UTM.

Another site (siteB) has a 330mb download connection and this one is connected to the UTM via an SD-RED 60. If I plug a laptop into the router at the site, I get approximately 300mbps, its approx because its not a lease line and fluxes a bit. As soon as I plug the laptop via the SD-RED 60, the speed plummets to 30mbps download and 4mpbs upload but its always at 30mbps /  4mbps, it doesnt change.

The red is set as Standard/Unifed during this test, if i set as Standard/Split, the laptop gets 300mbps from the internet.

If i do a file copy from siteA to siteB then it maxes at 30mbps just like the internet

Ive turned off IPS, no difference

QoS disabled

Applied latest firmware

Its cabled at the RED end and no wifi is involved

RED has compression enabled, if disabled the speed drops to approx 26mbps

Web Protection is enabled but have tried disabling it, no difference.

Tried rebooting the UTM, no difference

MTU size on lease line and RED is 1500, have tried 1492, no difference.

Tried two simultaneous downloads from siteB to see if it would do 2 x 30mbps but doesnt, it halves the download speed roughly.

Im now convinced the tunnel can only run at a speed of 30mbps regardless of what RED and its throughput is. If someone would clarify this that would be really helpful

Many thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

which provider & which ISP-router do you use?

i would try to place a switch between ISP-Router/port and RED. Check negotiated Port speed.

I would try a MTU of 1200 too.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi

Its a Draytek 2862 im using but thats fine because if i connect the laptop into it, i.e. bypass the red it downloads close to the 330mbps.

The negotiated port speed and mtu i dont think is the issue because if I set the RED to standard/split, the laptop gets nearly 330mbps download speed. So this is passing through the RED onto the Draytek and out to the internet. 

Its purely any traffic down the tunnel to HQ where the sg330 is but that is on a 1gb lease line and my tests are done out of hours where there no usage that it drops to 30mbps and 4mbps upload.

Appreciate the input

• Solved - The work I'm doing is remote for a customer, turns out a member of staff had used the laptop inbetween my time on it, turned on wifi to another network which goes down a different connection that is....wait for it....30mb down and 4mb up. I only noticed when I came back, ran ipconfig and wondered why there was an IP on wifi nic.

Sigh, unbelievable what users through at you!