This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ethernet Bridge vs Link Aggregation

Is there a difference between creating an Ethernet Bridge for an Interface and assigning the ports to it, and creating a Link Aggregation Group and assigning the interface to that?

I ask because we've had our UTM set up with an Ethernet Bridge for years but are now upgrading to an SG220. I imported a backup to get me started with the new hardware, and I'm having the toughest time trying to change from a Bridge to a LAG without completely deleting my LAN interface. I just wonder whether it's even worth it to try.

The interface for my LAN has no Clone button and any attempt to change it from "Ethernet Bridge" to just "Ethernet" gives me the error "Invalid Bridge".

Thanks,

Jeff

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Turns out the problems related to not being able to change the Interface Type from Ethernet Bridge to Ethernet has to do with some compatibility glitch between older UTM versions (when our gateway was first set up) and the current one. I couldn't clone or change the interface.  So, I ended up making a new one and spending a couple hours going through and changing all my rules/settings from the old interface to the new one.  Hopefully didn't miss anything; I'll find out when I switch over this weekend. FIngers crossed.

Still would like to know if there's any practical difference between what Sophos refers to as "Ethernet Bridge" and "Link Aggregate".

Thanks,

Jeff

• Yes, there are differences, Jeff.  Not the least of which is that you can't do QoS on a bridged interface.  Check out Scott Klassen's comment here.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA