This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Log Disk

How do I eliminate getting my Log Disk to 85-93% everyday?
here's my Local Log Settings

Automatic log file deletion
deletes logs after 20 days

Threshold One
When usage reaches 50%
delete oldest logs file

Threshold Two
When usage reaches 85%
delete oldest logs file

Threshold Three
When usage reaches 95%
delete oldest logs file

Do I configured my Log settings correctly.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • See if the following post can help: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/26603

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I already did what they did but no success.
    Still my local logs getting full
  • Which things did you try?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Balfson,

May I ask you a simple question in regards to astaro?
    I already answered those question which Im going to present to our Government client.Its a matter of proper evaluation to the product (astaro).
    I know its your expertise,so Im just asking your ideas how do present these questions with a confidence dealing with astaro for them.

These are the questions Im going to present this coming Monday.

TOPIC TO BE DISCUSS:

1. WHAT IS ASTARO FIREWALL?

2. WHY  DO WE NEED  ASTARO IN OUR NETWORK?

3. HOW DOES IT WORK?

Highly appreciated if you could impart your idea.

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi,
    ASG is not just a firewall. There are a number of elements, but if you are just putting a single box in as a firewall then

1/. UTM unified threat management - a number of internet access (or external to your site) management tools/applications in an easy to manage interface.
    2/. You need an ASG because you can manage/control your user's access to specific sites, provide url filtering, anti virus (2 different versions) for e-mail incoming and outgoing, web surfing, ftp. Tunnels betwen offices or roaming staff. Secure access to your internal servers. A number of helpers for different applications to ensure smooth transition through the firewall.

3/. the ASG UTM uses a mixture of public domain and private software to build the total package.

4/. An ASG has the capabilty of being clustered and providing high availability (HA).

That is a quick summary of what an ASG UTM device can offer. There is way more more in functionality than can be answered in a simple post. Take a copy of the handbook with you and make it part of your submission.

Ian M
  • Hi,
    ASG is not just a firewall. There are a number of elements, but if you are just putting a single box in as a firewall then

1/. UTM unified threat management - a number of internet access (or external to your site) management tools/applications in an easy to manage interface.
    2/. You need an ASG because you can manage/control your user's access to specific sites, provide url filtering, anti virus (2 different versions) for e-mail incoming and outgoing, web surfing, ftp. Tunnels betwen offices or roaming staff. Secure access to your internal servers. A number of helpers for different applications to ensure smooth transition through the firewall.

3/. the ASG UTM uses a mixture of public domain and private software to build the total package.

4/. An ASG has the capabilty of being clustered and providing high availability (HA).

That is a quick summary of what an ASG UTM device can offer. There is way more more in functionality than can be answered in a simple post. Take a copy of the handbook with you and make it part of your submission.

Ian M
Children
  • Thanks for your reply my friend.Im gping to add these notes to my presentations.
    It helps a lot!
  • Hello Guys,

Im back in regards to Local Logs.
    Somebody could help me to eliminate my Local Logs fast growing as of now 65% are already utilized within a month?
    I compared same model of astaro to one of our clients which I deployed 4 months ago yet the logs is all about 2-3%.
    I cant figure out what the cause of this problem.

Im running on ver 7.403.

Please need your help
  • Have you looked at Logging >> View Log files and checked "Today's log files" and also browsed through the archived logs to see which log files are large? 

If the log files are growing quickly I'm sure at least one of the logs will be quite large each day, once you find the logfile(s) that is taking up the space you can then start to troubleshoot the issue by finding out what is being written to the logfile.
  • It shows the Packet Filter eats my Local Logs space arounds 6.2 GB the rest its a matter or Kb only.
  • If your packet filter logs are that large, do you have rules set to log all your traffic?  If so, that's where the volume is coming from.  There's no need to log every passed packet through the system.  If you are seeing that many drops, you may need to dig into the logs to see the root cause of the excess bad traffic.  If there's broadcast or multicast traffic that is generated by a system on your network, you may want to add a drop rule w/ no logging for those specific items so they aren't logged on your firewalls' internal interface.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Hello,

See the attached file how do I config my Packet Filter Rules.

FYR.......QCIT-NINE and PRoxy2 are proxies of internal network.
    VIPNet 8.95.0 are VIP network
    WirelessNet 8.96.0 are VIP wireless network