This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Home UTM Question

Hi, somewhat of a noob here (only been working in IT for about 5 months). Looking to setup a Sophos UTM home unit with an old laptop that only has one ethernet NIC. Since the requirements state "two or more PCIe 2.0 Ethernet network interface cards" are necessary, can I add one of those USB-to-ethernet NICs? Or, will the UTM not even detect it? Thanks in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello  ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community, it may or may not work as the installation of 3rd party software/hardware, including drivers, is unsupported with the UTM and very limited. 

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Jagad | Team Lead, Global Support & Services 

Log a Support Case | Sophos Service Guide
    Best Practices – Support Case

Sophos Community | Product Documentation | Sophos Techvids | SMS
    If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• I have a aukey CB-C71 usb C hub. In addition to the type A ports is a realtek ethernet port.

dmesg output

Interfaces:hardware

So appears there's support for 815x usb nics.

Your other option is to use a single cable but assign wan to a vlan interface. You will need to use a managed switch to break out the single cable to your lan and wan connections. You will also lose 50% of your gigabit bandwidth. Not a concern if your isp is slower than 500 mbps.

This was tested on utm 9.711, so should work on newer versions too.

Edit.  I also have a rtl8156b based nic (realtek 2.5gbit) usb c. Even with the most current update 9.714, it's not recognized.  So stick to the 8153 versions.

Another option is to run proxmox which is debian based and will likely identify most usb adapters.  You then virtualize utm and assign each adapter (internal/usb) as vnic's to the guest. This works too.  In fact, my own UTM instance is a vm under proxmox. The board has 2 nics, an intel i211 and a rtl8152. The latter is usd for lan and is a vnic, while the former is passed directly (vfio) for wan use.