[ANSWERED] question about home licencing

Hi,
will a home user be able to use this version and will current home licence apply?

Ian M
  • @rrosson We'll allow up to 4 cores, and 6GB RAM on the home license (which is a pretty substantial offering) In the system you describe, we would work just fine, but only make use of 6GB of the 8GB available. Likewise if you had more CPU cores, we would only use the first four.

Firstly I want to thank Sophos for making this available. I just bought a new box, for running Sophos UTM and think I might give this a try. I had put an old Fortigate in charge of my home network but since I don't want to pay for a VERY expensive subscription for minimal usage I was missing too many features. It truly is helpful, and as I become familiar with the Sophos UTM I may well suggest it instead of the Fortigate to customers.

But I wanted to comment that I think it makes much more sense to allow 8GB or RAM which at the end of the day is just a far more natural number. The box I have (a Fit IPC2), it supports a total of 2 DIMMS. I put in a single 8GB DIMM (actually I put in 2 8GB DIMMS but that is way over the top), but the point is plenty of boxes take one DIMM and it just makes sense to be able to put in an 8GB DIMM and be able to use all 8GB. Since there is no such thing as a 6GB DIMM, it means you either need to use 4GB, or waste 2GB with the way you have done it (of course in a system like mine I could use a 2GB + 4GB to get to 6GB).
  • I agree with thanking Sophos for continuing the home user licence.
    The ram limit is set so you can't run too  many services/features along with the cpu count.
    From observation so far memory usage is a lot less than the current UTM release with a very highly option home use UTM.
    Most of us home users have put 8gb in the UTMs because it was the logical step up from 4gb to stop swapping. This version uses totally different software which appears to be more cpu and memory efficient. I won't change any of the boxes ram installation.

Finally, I would not worry about the ram, it is cheap.

Ian
  • To be honest, the exact specs for the home license are not fully committed yet, so this may still change some. But we do need to balance the home license against commercial offerings. 

With 4 cores and 6GB RAM, this stacks up to potentially a very powerful system, that can protect a large number of users in a business environment. we absolutely want to be generous to our home users, but bear in mind, we also need to be a little but cautious. As Ian suggests, I doubt you'll see any difference in capabilities between 6 and 8GB RAM in a home network. My home network is far from typical (though perhaps not so atypical in this crowd)  four cores and 4GB RAM is much more than enough, even on UTM9
  • This news are very good thath the IP limit falls. 4 Cores and 6GB Ram is more than enough. It would be very bad / unusable with 1 Core and 1-2GB Ram. I tested it on the beta and i got 2 connectons in loadbalancing this goes up to 150Mbit Down and 60 Mbit Up. With 1 Core I couldn't use more than 30 Mbit even if I turned all security features off the CPU was all the time on 100%. With 2 Cores I get with all Services running about get 66% max and and a 6% avg if I use sometimes all the bandwith. I would like the others already suggest that Ram Limit should go to 8Gb because of the same reason that already was talked in this thread.
  • I'm glad to see the acknowledgment that IP based licensing isn't cutting it anymore. I also understand where Sophos is coming from a 6GB RAM & two cores is a very powerful system. I run that at home on my exiting UTM vm and it's more then enough for home use. And yes, I am a geek who runs IP heavy on a fast DSL (soon to be fiber) connection.

Just looking at the UTM 220 & SG2x0 series that's basically what they're giving us for free. And given one company I support is running an UTM 220 at HQ w/ easily half a dozen RED's and full web filter, a free non-commercial license equivalent to a mid range appliance can be tempting to abuse.
  • With Internet home speeds ranging anywhere from 25-100Mb down with 3-10Mb up, I am hoping that something like an i3 (2 cores) and 8GB or RAM will be acceptable for home use. Currently this allows me to experiment with all the protection features without impacting download speeds.

Internet speeds are faster then that at least where I am, I have FiOs 150/150[:D]. You say something interesting though, I run Sophos on a SuperMicro  SYS-5015A-EHF-D525, It has a Atom D525 processor and 4GB of memory in it and its been running great for over two years however I do notice when I enable IPS in Sophos my internet download speeds drop by around 20-30% so are you saying if I get something like a Core i3 I would not see this problem? Maybe even a quad core Celeron would be better? This is for home use so I don't want to go overkill. I have learned to live with it because I have been told that is the nature of the beast when using IPS in Sophos. If I get confermation by you and others that the extra CPU power will get rid of the slowdown when using IPS then it maybe time for me to put my brand new Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF 1U Rackmount Server Barebone LGA 1150 Intel C222 Express PCH DDR3 1600
    to use, I purchased an Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor and 16GB of Samsung ECC memory to go into this system but never put it to use. If I did this then I would just put Sophos in a VM on it with Windows 10 Pro and some other programs. I have never used VM's before so the ground is a bit scary for me. What does everyone think? Will I see a big speed improvement going this route with only a small user base or am I wasting my time and just continue to keep Sophos on my Atom D525 system?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.
  • I don't think you'll get much more IPS performance from a beefier box.  I'm running a quad-core VM with 8GB RAM and didn't get much performance with that upgraded from a Core2Duo single-purpose box.  It has to do with the Snort engine not capable of supporting multiple cores (unless multiple instances of Snort are run).  I've had some success not losing a whole bunch of throughput enabling rule age to be >12 mos.  

With Copernicus, I'm only seeing ~3MB/s throughput in speedtests.  I know they're not wholly accurate but that was pretty surprising to see.  I'll play with it more this week to see if I can do it just a little bit better. 

Overall, love the redesign and looking forward to the production service.  Hope they settle on 2C/8GB for the home license with no IP address restrictions (or maybe 75 or 100 limit) for the home license.  That'd be swell.
  • Hey Alan T, I was wondering with an Actual Astaro unit such as the ASG625 would the Copernicus home license automatically adjust itself to use less of the available resources during install/configuration?  I just want to know if it will actually let me run it on that appliance and just adjust itself.  

Thank you!
    Hugh
  • November 1st is coming fast, What happens to our beta installs on that day? Will it just stop working and we have no internet or will it just worn us the beta has ended with a way to get our home license installed?

Thank you...
  • Participation in BETA program was on volunteer basic, and it looks like that there will be no rewards...[;)]

On 31.10, my plan is to re-image my office UTM120 device with UTM9, and restore backup configuration from July.