[ANSWERED] question about home licencing

Hi,
will a home user be able to use this version and will current home licence apply?

Ian M
Parents
  • With Internet home speeds ranging anywhere from 25-100Mb down with 3-10Mb up, I am hoping that something like an i3 (2 cores) and 8GB or RAM will be acceptable for home use. Currently this allows me to experiment with all the protection features without impacting download speeds.
  • With Internet home speeds ranging anywhere from 25-100Mb down with 3-10Mb up, I am hoping that something like an i3 (2 cores) and 8GB or RAM will be acceptable for home use. Currently this allows me to experiment with all the protection features without impacting download speeds.

Internet speeds are faster then that at least where I am, I have FiOs 150/150[:D]. You say something interesting though, I run Sophos on a SuperMicro  SYS-5015A-EHF-D525, It has a Atom D525 processor and 4GB of memory in it and its been running great for over two years however I do notice when I enable IPS in Sophos my internet download speeds drop by around 20-30% so are you saying if I get something like a Core i3 I would not see this problem? Maybe even a quad core Celeron would be better? This is for home use so I don't want to go overkill. I have learned to live with it because I have been told that is the nature of the beast when using IPS in Sophos. If I get confermation by you and others that the extra CPU power will get rid of the slowdown when using IPS then it maybe time for me to put my brand new Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF 1U Rackmount Server Barebone LGA 1150 Intel C222 Express PCH DDR3 1600
    to use, I purchased an Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor and 16GB of Samsung ECC memory to go into this system but never put it to use. If I did this then I would just put Sophos in a VM on it with Windows 10 Pro and some other programs. I have never used VM's before so the ground is a bit scary for me. What does everyone think? Will I see a big speed improvement going this route with only a small user base or am I wasting my time and just continue to keep Sophos on my Atom D525 system?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.

Internet speeds are faster then that at least where I am, I have FiOs 150/150[:D]. You say something interesting though, I run Sophos on a SuperMicro  SYS-5015A-EHF-D525, It has a Atom D525 processor and 4GB of memory in it and its been running great for over two years however I do notice when I enable IPS in Sophos my internet download speeds drop by around 20-30% so are you saying if I get something like a Core i3 I would not see this problem? Maybe even a quad core Celeron would be better? This is for home use so I don't want to go overkill. I have learned to live with it because I have been told that is the nature of the beast when using IPS in Sophos. If I get confermation by you and others that the extra CPU power will get rid of the slowdown when using IPS then it maybe time for me to put my brand new Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF 1U Rackmount Server Barebone LGA 1150 Intel C222 Express PCH DDR3 1600
    to use, I purchased an Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor and 16GB of Samsung ECC memory to go into this system but never put it to use. If I did this then I would just put Sophos in a VM on it with Windows 10 Pro and some other programs. I have never used VM's before so the ground is a bit scary for me. What does everyone think? Will I see a big speed improvement going this route with only a small user base or am I wasting my time and just continue to keep Sophos on my Atom D525 system?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.
Children
No Data