[ANSWERED] question about home licencing

Hi,
will a home user be able to use this version and will current home licence apply?

Ian M
Parents Reply Children
  • @rrosson We'll allow up to 4 cores, and 6GB RAM on the home license (which is a pretty substantial offering) In the system you describe, we would work just fine, but only make use of 6GB of the 8GB available. Likewise if you had more CPU cores, we would only use the first four.

Firstly I want to thank Sophos for making this available. I just bought a new box, for running Sophos UTM and think I might give this a try. I had put an old Fortigate in charge of my home network but since I don't want to pay for a VERY expensive subscription for minimal usage I was missing too many features. It truly is helpful, and as I become familiar with the Sophos UTM I may well suggest it instead of the Fortigate to customers.

But I wanted to comment that I think it makes much more sense to allow 8GB or RAM which at the end of the day is just a far more natural number. The box I have (a Fit IPC2), it supports a total of 2 DIMMS. I put in a single 8GB DIMM (actually I put in 2 8GB DIMMS but that is way over the top), but the point is plenty of boxes take one DIMM and it just makes sense to be able to put in an 8GB DIMM and be able to use all 8GB. Since there is no such thing as a 6GB DIMM, it means you either need to use 4GB, or waste 2GB with the way you have done it (of course in a system like mine I could use a 2GB + 4GB to get to 6GB).
  • I agree with thanking Sophos for continuing the home user licence.
    The ram limit is set so you can't run too  many services/features along with the cpu count.
    From observation so far memory usage is a lot less than the current UTM release with a very highly option home use UTM.
    Most of us home users have put 8gb in the UTMs because it was the logical step up from 4gb to stop swapping. This version uses totally different software which appears to be more cpu and memory efficient. I won't change any of the boxes ram installation.

Finally, I would not worry about the ram, it is cheap.

Ian