[ANSWERED] question about home licencing

Hi,
will a home user be able to use this version and will current home licence apply?

Ian M
  • yes, there will be a free home use license version of Copernicus available. We still strongly believe in making our product freely available for home use, and plan to make Copernicus also available for free home use. 
    The home use will be limited in the number of cores and RAM it supports, rather than the number of protected IPs, as well as message customization, but will include all features on the box.
  • yes, there will be a free home use license version of Copernicus available. We still strongly believe in making our product freely available for home use, and plan to make Copernicus also available for free home use. 
    The home use will be limited in the number of cores and RAM it supports, rather than the number of protected IPs, as well as message customization, but will include all features on the box.

Hi Paul,

Sounds excellent that the Home License will be there. [:D]
    But I assume that this will limit the a mount of active functions in the unit and also the performance?

Best Regards,
    Frank

• The home use will be limited in the number of cores and RAM it supports, rather than the number of protected IPs, as well as message customization, but will include all features on the box.

Would you have more guidance on how that would work?

I'm currently running the Home Edition on a SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F (8 cores and 8G RAM).  Absolutely more than I need, but I like nice hardware.

With the new license model, would the OS just not use a number of cores (if the license was for less than 8)?  Same with RAM?

Or, would I need to make this an ESXi box and create a VM to be within the core/ram limits.
  • Today, we limit only the number of protected IPs and the customization of user facing notifications. 

Copernicus software licensing will be based on the number of cores, and amount of RAM, and the home license will only limit the number of used cores, the amount of used RAM, and the customization of user facing notifications.

We won't restrict it any further than that!
  • With Internet home speeds ranging anywhere from 25-100Mb down with 3-10Mb up, I am hoping that something like an i3 (2 cores) and 8GB or RAM will be acceptable for home use. Currently this allows me to experiment with all the protection features without impacting download speeds.
  • @rrosson We'll allow up to 4 cores, and 6GB RAM on the home license (which is a pretty substantial offering) In the system you describe, we would work just fine, but only make use of 6GB of the 8GB available. Likewise if you had more CPU cores, we would only use the first four.
  • @AlanT - this is awesome news.  This will work for me so much better and for others who are using a lab-type of environment spinning up VMs haphazardly and often.  Thanks for listening to the concerns of your home users!  I was getting worried I might need to find another solution...this stays those fears.
  • Quite literally the happiest news I've come across in a while! [:D]
    I'm very excited to take this beta for a spin!
  • That's really a great news. I'm struggling currently with Sophos UTM with the limit of IP addresses. If you have a bigger house (some access points) and a big family (5 Children) and you are in the IT business. 50 IP addresses are gone within minutes. I even tried to activate IPv6 via tunnel broker. Doubling nearly the number of IP addresses.
    So I'm looking forward to replace Sophos UTM asap with Copernicus if the features are sufficient for an home user...

Thomas
  • Awesome news! As a system administrator I love having the solution both at home and at work. Thank you Sophos!