In our staff spotlights, we get up close and personal with our amazing Sophos team members.
Up next is Dominic Remigio, Senior Technical Writer from the Sophos Documentation Team.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
I am an NSG Technical Writer under the Sophos Documentation team. I create and update online documentation, Sophos Assistant content, and write Sophos Community Recommended Reads for Sophos Firewall.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
I’ve been with Sophos for seven years now. I initially started as an NSG Technical Support Engineer and developed an interest in testing NSG products and creating configuration and troubleshooting steps.
After my Tech Support Role, I took an NSG Technical Writer Role under the Knowledge Base Team. It was too good of an opportunity to pass on because this role entailed the tasks I was interested in. After a few years, another opportunity came. I’ve now transitioned into the Documentation Team, still as an NSG Technical Writer.
I love that no matter what your role or team is, there’s always something new that you can learn, and there’s always room for improvement.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
I’m really interested in tinkering with technology. During my college days, there was a Cisco elective that I took. Configuring the Cisco Firewall sparked my interest, as well as analyzing network diagrams, routing concepts, and VLSM IP addressing, among others.
I even took several certification exams. Fortunately, my role in Sophos allowed me to apply these skills and even improve them.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
I get to test network scenarios and create configuration and troubleshooting steps for the online documentation. More recently, I’ve been creating Sophos Assistant content.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of?
This was when a request came to create an Azure VPN Gateway IPsec connection with BGP article. At that time, I didn’t have any experience with Microsoft Azure. So, I tried to research it, gather information from similar articles, set it up, and did a lot of troubleshooting.
It took a lot of time and effort, but I was able to make it work. It was fulfilling. I learned about Microsoft Azure, and this was also true with AWS.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
My typical day includes:
- Handling JIRA tickets
- Researching and reading a lot of information
- Creating and updating documentation
- Troubleshooting in my lab
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
Whatever role you land in an organization, make sure to learn a lot from it, as you’ll be able to use it in the future, one way or another. In addition to that, continue to learn and acquire new skills.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
A barista or a massage therapist.
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
I like KPOP and I also studied basic Korean. Saranghaeyo Yeoreobeun!
- Sophos Firewall: Establish IPsec PBVPN connection between Sophos Firewall and SonicWall
- Sophos Firewall: How to configure BGP over RBVPN
- Sophos UTM: RED (Remote Ethernet Device) technical training guide
- Sophos Firewall: Connect Akamai SIA and Sophos Firewall
Who is Dominic outside of Work?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
I play games like Mobile Legends and Resident Evil, and I also play the bass guitar.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
I want to learn how to play drums.
13. What's one thing you're really good at?
Play the bass guitar.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
Study to be a barista and learn therapy.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable).
I live in Quezon City, Philippines, the largest city in Metro Manila. Before that, I lived in Caloocan City and moved to Quezon City in 1995.
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live?
My favorite part of it is the Quezon Memorial Circle. It’s a large park and my family usually goes there to jog, do Zumba, walk the dogs, and eat street food.
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I watch a lot of KPOP concerts, and I even won a raffle contest to have a photo opportunity with one of my favorite girl groups, ITZY. I also got to talk to my bias, Yeji.
18. Any favorite line from a movie?
“I just woke up one day and I knew. What I was never sure of with you.” – 500 Days of Summer
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
What else? Of course, the ultimate, the power of God. Say the word and it will be done. I can have several other superpowers because of this.