This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

https webmail block

Hia all,

I am looking for an efficient way to block HTTPS webmail traffic using the inbuilt proxy. 

While we have a parent proxy (message labs) and that seems to do a fantastic job it seems the HTTPS traffic is bypassing this.

I am running the proxy in transparent mode but I need to understand the certificate issue to also scan HTTPS

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I don't know if you are using 9.1 or 9.2 (which was soft-released recently).  I'll give the 9.2 instructions since you'll be on that eventually even if you are not right now and has some better options for HTTPS scanning.

Create a category filter (under Filtering Options, Categories) called WebMail, and select the Web Mail category.  Now in your filter action you can select that as something to block.

In 9.2 transparent mode if you use HTTPS "URL Filter Only" that can check sites where the entire domain is WebMail (eg mail.google.com) but it cannot check sites where the mail is part of another domain (eg www.google.com/mail).  To ensure all site are blocked you should use HTTPS Decrypt and Scan.  In 9.1 you just have to turn HTTPS scanning on (equivalent to Decrypt and Scan).
  •  
    Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey mate its been a while since I replied to this thread.

Anyways no we are running 9.1 not 9.2 (we have a demo unit in the office which does not seem to give us the ability to upgrade to 9.2 at the moment)

Is there any way to get this running on 9.1 as I do not see an option for webmail?
  • In 9.1, Web Protection, Web Filtering.  Tab is called URL Filtering Categories.

Create a new category filter called WebMail, and select the Web Mail category. Now in the URL Filtering tab you should see that as a website category you can block.

In order for this to be blocking HTTPS sites as well you need to do HTTPS scanning.  This does involve certificates and is a slightly separate issue.