This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Website Blocked - Unknown Category

Our Astaro is configured with a category whitelist, and is blocking The Presbyterian Church in Canada because it is in an 'unknown category' - not the same as uncategorized.

McAfee SmartFilter XL categorizes the site as 'Major World Religions' which does not jive with any of the options on the Astaro Content Filter list. Any suggestions aside from simply adding another entry to our exceptions list?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi MisterAG

so recategorize your URL as a matching one to your ASGs categories.

Kind regards,
    Steffen
  • We use blocked categories here. I check my blocked cats and your URL goes through the proxy. I block "Categorization failed, Uncategorized, Suspicious" and marked "Block access to uncategorized websites" too.

Astaro should add "Unknown category" to its URL Filtering categories or update to McAfee's cats.

So long,
    Steffen
  • I just checked  at TrustedSource, and it responded with a category of "Major World Religions".

Cheers - Bob
    PS Do you have 'Allow access to uncategorized websites' checked at the bottom of the 'URL Filtering' tab?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I agree that it is categorized as Major World Religions.... Now try to find that category in your Astaro Configuration.

I guess that my gripe is if you are going to trust a third party to categorize websites for you, then you've got to make sure that every categorization that the other party can give a website will be valid in your software.
  • I agree that it is categorized as Major World Religions.... Now try to find that category in your Astaro Configuration.

Ahhh, yes, it appears that a new category has been added by TrustedSource!  Have you submitted a ticket to Astaro Support to report the bug?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Indeed I have. What a bizarre category name Religion/Ideology wasn't specific enough, I guess. I'm sure that Astaro will get this resolved - I was just curious if anyone else had run into the new categories available from McAfee.

I did a quick look around and saw the following new categories:

Browser Exploits
    Consumer Protection
    Controversial Opinions
    Discrimination
    Illegal UK

Major World Religions

Malicious Downloads
    Potential Criminal Activities
    Potential Hacking/Computer Crime
    Potential Illegal Software
    PUPs
    Residential IP Address
    Spyware/Adware/Keyloggers (Not the existing Spyware/Adware)
  • Just a thought - If you are blacklisting website categories, you may be suprised if the blocks start failing as malicious sites are recategorized into something like Spyware/Adware/Keyloggers instead of the existing Spyware/Adware and are suddenly getting passed through your filters!

I didn't test this since we are a whitelist shop, but I wanted to point it out.
  • Sounds like it's time for a Category list update... that may take a firmware up2date to pull off, not so sure though.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Hi Bruce

like I said. But as an firmware update through both version (7.***, 8.***). And if they update their categories so they can implement an additional update function checking for new categories.

Maybe it's a feature request. I should do that.

Regards,
    Steffen