This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Access to user portal from internet

Hello together,

after upgrading from ASG 8.305 to UTM 9 and configuring HTML5 VPN I wanted to test the access to the user portal from internet. But it doesn't work. I see the request in the live log but it's denied by "Default DROP". I can access the user portal from internal network only.

I wanted to check if the "Listen Adress" is set correctly. But looking under "Administration | User Portal | Advanced" I can only set the listening port but not the ip adress. I see the field description but no field to change it.

Another hint in this forum is to disable the "Web Application Security". I don't have this feature activated.

How can I change the listening adress of the user portal?

Kind Regards

TheExpert

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I see the field description but no field to change it.

Sometimes, the local browser cache gets broken.  Try exiting all browser windows, opening one and deleting temporary files before logging back in to WebAdmin.

Is the field there now?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • What do you have configured in 'allowed networks' for the user portal? I personaly think it's best to change the port to something different than 443 (eg. 4443) and set allowed networks to any.

Regards
    Manfred
  • Hello,

thank you for your answers. I use port 4443 (I think this is the standard port) and I have set "Any" as allowed networks.

I tried to check and to set the listening ip address with different browsers and after clearing the browser cache but the result is always the same: I see the field description but neither I see the actual value nor I can change the setting.

Thank you again for your further help

TheExpert

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• If the field didn't appear after clearing the browser cache, it sounds like you might have a failed installation.  In your situation, I would confirm that the checksum of the downloaded ISO is correct, burn a new CD at 4x or slower and reload from that CD.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

the MD5 is correct. I' don't think the reinstallation of UMT 9 will help but I will try it.

Result:

Thanks to VMware Hypervisor (ESXi 5.0) it was very easy and fast to reinstall UTM 9 [[:)]].

After the new installation I cancelled the initialisation wizard and first looked at the user portal options. After activating the portal I was able to change the setting of the listening IP address [[:)]].

Then I imported my config backup that I made shortly before reinstalling the UTM. Looking again for changing the listening IP address I'm not able to change it anymore [:(].

The configuration of the UTM was imported from ASG 8.305 when I updated to UTM 9. This is the recommended way of Sophos / Astaro, isn't it?

Regards

TheExpert

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• Hello together,

is there a solution for the issue after importing an asg 8.x config backup into UTM 9 there's no possibility to change the listening IP field for the user portal?

Thank you

TheExpert

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• I also installed UTM9 with a backup from 8.305. No problem with setting the Port for the User-Portal.
    I had many fields missing / could not change them when my language was set to German.
    Setting the language to English solved my problem.

What language are you using?

The German Translation ist definitely broken.
  • I haven't tried this particular thing, but I often switch back and forth between English and German so I can see what folks in the German forum are seeing.  Switching languages seems to force the browser to reload things instead of using cached objects.  That was how I learned to clear the browser cache to get things to appear.  I don't think the coding is any different for the different languages.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

this was a very nice and easy hint to change the language setting from German to English. Now I'm able to change the listening address field [[:)]].

Now I see that the setting for this option is correct. It is set to 'Any'. So it should be possible to connect to the user portal from internet. But it doesn't work (I'm trying to connect to the external IP address with an internal client) [:(].

The live log of the firewall has the following entries:

17:22:34 Default DROP TCP 192.168.0.99:41083 → 93.132.53.89:4443
    17:22:34 Default DROP TCP 192.168.0.99:41084 → 93.132.53.89:4443

I tried with an explicit firewall rule which is allowing this traffic but nothing changed. I know that this shouldn't be done because there will be an automatic setting of an firewall setting but it was a try. The UTM stands behind a AVM FritzBox 7390 as DSL router and natting device. The natting is activated for the user portal port 4443.

I have no idea what to do to connect to the user portal [:S].

Correction:

I wouldn't believe that the user portal won't work. So I connected one client to the external network between the FritzBox and the astaro and now I can access the user portal [[:)]]. I had some confusion because of using port 4443 which isn't a standard web port (like http or https is) and so I wasn't able to connect if port 4443 isn't opened on the gateway of the other network. So perhabs it would be the best to change the port of the user portal to 443 to have always access to the portal from everywhere.

But there is one thing that should be known: Changing the language option of the WebAdmin UI could stop changing some settings on UTM 9. The best is to keep the English language.

Thank you for your help

TheExpert

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• The problem you're having with accessing the User Portal is similar to one you will have if you configure Quarantine emails.  It's related to Accessing Internal or DMZ Webserver from Internal Network.

The easiest solution is to create an entry in internal DNS (your own server or the Astaro, depending on how you're configured) pointing the FQDN at the IP of "Internal (Address)" for users in 192.168.0.0/24.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA