This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Locations not working correctly for some systems.

Having issues with UTM Manager and the map locations.

( Version - 4.203-4 )

Most of my firewalls are fine and show correct location on the map.

Some, like my Moscow firewall, have moved into the middle of Russian land mass.
Hong Kong moves to London.
Almaty, Kazakhstan, moves to middle of KZ....

So... I manually edited them all putting in exact Lat Longs.

They appear nicely on the map, (indeed I can zoom in to the correct street!)

However, an uncertain amount of time later, the information is somehow lost and they revert back to former locations.

Perth, London, Brisbane and most other locations all work fine.

Kind of annoying, can anyone suggest a fix?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hey Simon,

we get our coordinates from a third-party provider. These geo locations are sometimes just a rounded number in the middle of a country. There's currently nothing we can do here.

Regarding your reverted location data, this is an issue which happens everytime iplocator.plx is called on the UTM, e.g. on an up2date. Then the UTM sends its data again to the SUM, which then updates the coordinates to the geo location information of the third-party. I'll file a report in our issue tracker that we should prevent that from happening.

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • Anythhing news? I have the same problem on SUM V. 4.260-4

Regards 

Lutz
  • We've created a ticket for this issue (#34125). But we probably not gonna fix this in the SUM4.3 release.
  • Why is this not being resolved? It should be a simple tick box in the SUM server to receive the data but not doing anything with it?

We are going to install several UTM's around the world on remote locations of which some are off-shore. These locations all use VPN tunnels to our HQ and thus, the device thinks it is there. All of them get stacked on top of each other in the map overview.
  • Three of mine all under the one company umbrella, but originally registered in different parts of Australia all show the same location in Melbourne.

The 4th one is shown to be on the SA/NT border, middle of central Australia desert territory. Not much registered out there.

Ian M
  • Welcome Steefph. 

I'm afraid this issue, adding a checkbox to keep manual changes, is still on our backlog since it is not a high priority (yet). We'll maybe fix it in the 4.302 SUM release (the one after the upcoming 4.301 release).

But the automatically provided GeoIP data will always be incorrect.

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • Hi Sebastian, and thanks ;-)

I was promoting this feature a bit till I found out it is not working yet for us. I want to give a simple overview to the not so IT-wizards to see where there are issues. 
    Will have to wait till the next release.
  • I guess this is still not on the priority list. I was really surprised when I manually entered the coordinates and the next day everything was incorrect again.

• We are encountering a similar sounding issue where two sites are manually set with their geographical locations, but they get overwritten by the geographical location of the update server. Does this this seem to be the same root cause issue? Or a separate issue?

In any case, the fix of adding a checkbox to keep manual changes would work here. Has this been marked fixed on any upcoming SUM release yet? If not, can we be added to push for this on behalf of several customers.

Also, is there a command line workaround that could buy time?