This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

cannot setup as router

hi, i am new. just use a hp pc setup UTM 9 home , i use three gigabit network for the pc. one is connect to my gigabit switch ,one to my AZTECH DSL8800SR modem(i set it to modem bridge). and i have configure my UTM dialup password. it show both status are down . but my modem have get the ADSL signal. anything i wrong configure.

thanks for guide me step by step.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, and welcome to the UTM Community!

First, I would confirm that the modem works and that the DSL service works with your PC connected directly to the modem in routing (not bridged) mode.  Once that works, then, leaving the modem in routing mode, try with the External interface set as 'Type: Ethernet' with 'Dynamic IP' checked.  If that works, put the modem in Bridge mode and configure the UTM's interface with 'Type: DSL (PPPO?)'.  Any better luck?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Looking at the logs an offer is not made by the ISP. The UTM is generating the initialization packet but the request gets timed out when it doesn't receive a discovery packet. 

Thanks 

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Did you try my suggestion above?  What version of UTM - V9.411?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • try, set as routing ,utm as etherner can ,set to bridge mode modem and utm as ppoe cant  , my version

9.412-2
  • What happens if you connect your PC directly to the modem?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • direct to modem using diap up no problem , set as router also ok

• Did I understand correctly that when you connect the UTM to the modem in router mode (not bridged), things work correctly?

If that's the case, we should be able to find something in the PPPoE or PPPoA log.  Bridge the modem and configure the UTM interface to authenticate with your ISP.

1. Disable the Interface on the UTM.
    2. Start the PPPoE/A live log and wait for it to show some lines.
    3. Enable the Interface on the UTM.

Show the log lines for a single connection attempt.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • No, i means using the mode setup as router or modem can online . not coonect to UTM in router mode.

• Configure UTM Interface as Ethernet with Dynamic IP.  Configure modem in router mode.  Tell/show us what makes you believe that you cannot connect.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I had a problem where the unit I was using would not auto-negotiate the connection speed at hardware level, I set the interface to the max for the device it was connecting to and all started working...

go into Interfaces, Hardware, select the interface, uncheck auto negotiation, then select the highest speed for the interface.

hope this helps

this took me 2 days to work out ( I love standards...lol)

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• I had a problem where the unit I was using would not auto-negotiate the connection speed at hardware level, I set the interface to the max for the device it was connecting to and all started working...

go into Interfaces, Hardware, select the interface, uncheck auto negotiation, then select the highest speed for the interface.

hope this helps

this took me 2 days to work out ( I love standards...lol)

Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

Children
  • try ard , same , down both showing

• Sometimes, this is as easy as Jason describes.  Read #7 in Rulz and follow #7.7 to try Jason's suggestion.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • have you tried to configure either of the other interfaces, so you can connect with a pc to webadmin?

so, you would have 3 LANs setup (different subnets), and allow access to webadmin via these interface can you get to the webadmin gui on any of the other interfaces?

the other item I came across (when doing initial testing), is when you create the PPPO? interface, if you are using FTTC (VDSL), do you tick the VDSL tick box?

If you do, un-tick the VDSL option and try again.