This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 220 rev. 4 memory upgrade

I was checking into upgrading our ASG 220 rev. 4 I bought less than a year ago to the new v9 firmware.  I put our serial number into the hardware refresh page on Astaro’s site to check compatibility. 

It came back with this: 
The ASG appliance with serial number ************ is a 220 rev.4 This unit is not recommended for running Sophos UTM version 9. You'll receive a one-time discount of $300 when ordering a new 220 unit and after you have registered your existing unit by clicking the Register button.

I hope this isn’t true as we purchased this unit Oct 2011, less than a year ago and shouldn’t be needing to upgrade the hardware already.  If it is true I would basically be paying $900+ to add 1GB of ram?  Is it just me or does that sound a little nuts?  Why no supported memory upgrade?  I can easily bump this unit up to 2GB or 4GB with the proper ram but it voids the warranty and support since it is not 'supported'.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Jim Koerner

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I hear ya, Barry.  The issue is that, unlike the HP DLs that we know and love, the Astaro appliances aren't conceived to have end-user-replacable parts.  You would be amazed at the number of people that damaged their box when changing DIMMs - you probably wouldn't be surprised at the number of places where no one owns an anti-static wrist strap.

Astaro has done a great job of taking care of my appliance customers when there were hardware problems.  Even HP will refuse to cover damage caused by the end-user.  My conversations yesterday convinced me.

Also, I just checked the Features site for the request to increase RAM in the 110/120/220 to 2GB.  It was first posted on 9/13/2011.

The last substantive comment was on April 4th by AngeloC and included the comment, "We cannot allow customers/partners to open the appliances, as this affects our situation with the manufacturer, to name one of only several factors."  Before yesterday, I would have said that that was Astaro's problem, not mine.  After remembering Triad's experience that caused them to change to having upgrades done only by their engineers, I accept that limitation by the manufacturer - only trained technicians are allowed inside.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • OK. How much would it cost to have a service company's technicians go out and upgrade the memory for customers requesting it?

Probably less than the $1000 for the trade-in.

Another option for users with current hardware (except for the paint job) could be to trade them in for a much lower price, and Astaro could use the trade-ins for RMA replacements, etc., or upgrade them to 2GB for other trade-in customers.
    Certainly this would cost less than $1000 also.

Barry
  • Just found I have one from April. 4-5 months old.

I may just leave it though.  1GB RAM but:
    Model
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
    Vendor
    Intel Corp.
    Speed
    1.7 GHz
  • Barry, I don't believe RAM upgrades are generally necessary for Rev4 appliances, and anything older is far better served by upgrading the hardware. 

The cost justification for a rev4 upgrade is admittedly not very compelling, but it also isn't the intended target. Offering a RAM upgrade program for any appliances has historically proven to be a bad idea, regardless of the cost benefits. If you have a rev 4 system running v9 that you believe is performing poorly due to insufficient RAM, please PM me. I'd like to look at the system with you.
  • I would agree that a Rev 3 ASG should be just replaced and that the increase in Processor to the Rev 5 would be worth it.  However, I've ran a Rev 4 ASG 220 with 1GB of RAM and with Network, E-mail, Wireless and Web Protection and it really does make your Internet connection feel like a 56K modem as soon as Web Protection is enabled.  With 2GB of RAM it runs much much better, but still doesn't have the same throughput/performance as a Sonicwall or Linksys router.  After installing 4GB into a ASG Rev.4 and a UTM Rev.5 the performance is outstanding.  I've tested this locally and with my clients.  It is the same across the board.

The word Astaro with all my clients has a really bad name at this point.  The ones that have it pre-modification would cringe at the very mention of the word.  Since upgrading them to 4GB RAM, I haven't heard a single complaint.  Everything has plenty of RAM to run correctly and quickly.  These are offices that are sized correctly.  With an office of 18 users, a 220 should be the correct option.

Alan, I know that I've mentioned this before and that we definitely don't see eye to eye on this, but the Sophos UTM is no longer playing in the little leagues.  With ASG v8 and now UTM v9, you've really got on outstanding product(Minus some work that still needs to be done to Web Protection).  But I think the approach of trying to limit the way the UTM is used by limiting the RAM is the wrong approach.  The Processor is and should always be your limiting factor.  The processor on the 220 is fine for what it is and if I exceed that then yes I would agree that I need to move up to the 320 or next available unit.  If you look at the software user's forum posts they'll all recommend that you run an ASG v8 or UTM v9 with a minimum of 3GB of RAM.

Again, great product.  But RAM is dirt cheap, don't skimp on it just because you can make an extra $5-$10 per appliance.
  • Probably less than the $1000 for the trade-in.

I figure it would have to be done by technicians certified on the hardware by the manufacturer, so $1K/onsite upgrade doesn't seem unreasonable.

upgrade them to 2GB for other trade-in customers

I am intrigued by your other idea though.  I wonder if the manufacturer wouldn't agree to do the upgrades or let Sophos do them.  There may not be enough possible savings with the 120, but there might be with the 220 depending on the situation.  The customer would need to sign a release absolving Sophos of any responsibility if the replacement malfunctioned causing financial loss.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone upgrade their own RAM except as a last resort after having worked with Sophos Support to be certain there was no configuration issue.  There's no point in losing the ability to get the unit replaced under warranty unless it's absolutely necessary.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • After installing 4GB into a ASG Rev.4 and a UTM Rev.5 the performance is outstanding.

Do you know what type of RAM (Brand/Model) you installed?

cu,
    Dino
  • You would be amazed at the number of people that damaged their box when changing DIMMs - you probably wouldn't be surprised at the number of places where no one owns an anti-static wrist strap.

A little off topic but this got me worried so I asked a bunch of IT guys on another forum and this appears to be a myth / "best practice" now days.

Should I really be using an Anti-Static wrist wrap? - Spiceworks
  • A little off topic but this got me worried so I asked a bunch of IT guys on another forum and this appears to be a myth / "best practice" now days.

It depends on the humidity (which depends on the weather and season) and other factors.

I live and work in southern California, where the humidity rarely drops below 40%, however I have still had a couple of static 'incidents' when handling electronics. I believe both of them happened while seated, so perhaps the chair was responsible for building up static internally (in its swivels) or between the upholstery and myself.

AT LEAST you should touch the computer's chassis (preferably while still plugged in/grounded) before touching any internal components, but if you're in a low-humidity environment, a wrist strap should be the minimum standard.

Barry
  • A little off topic but this got me worried so I asked a bunch of IT guys on another forum and this appears to be a myth / "best practice" now days.

Here's a representative example of the comments there: "[...] For simply swapping ram out, they're probably overkill. Just ground yourself before working and you're good."  I agree with that, but how many small/medium business owners know that?  Barry has the experience... and the wisdom that comes from bad experiences. [:$]

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA